1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking About A Plow For An 03 Silverado

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHEVYDIESEL03, Jun 4, 2003.

1. CHEVYDIESEL03

CHEVYDIESEL03 Junior Member

I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2003 SILVERADO 2500HD WITH THE DURAMAX / ALLISON COMBO. THE TRUCK DID NOT COME WITH A SNOW PLOW PREP PACKAGE AS AN OPTION WITH THE DIESEL!!
    :dizzy: I WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE WAS A REASON GM DID THIS, AND CAN I STILL PUT A PLOW ON THE TRUCK. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SET UP??

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't know why it wasn't an option,but you should still be OK with a plow on it.I'd check out some plow mfg websites,and use their guides to determine what plow you can put on it safely.Here are a few.

Western plow seletor

Fisher PDF selction guide

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It is probably because the extra weight from diesel engine that is sitting on the front end, limiting your front carrying capacity. That's probably why GM don't offer plow prep package on diesel. Maybe GM do but not on your truck configuration (cab size, box length, suspension) But still check the kit selection guides that wyldman just posted. If your truck configuation is just right as per guide, you could install a plow.

Congrats on your new truck and welcome to Plowsite! :waving: Got any pics of your truck?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I ran it through the Western quick match,and an 03,diesel,ext cab,with LD front end (no plow prep),is still rated to carry an 8 ft Pro plow,with 975 Lbs of ballast in the rear.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

do you have a 4 door crew cab? i have plow prep on my 2500HD Duramax and it came from the factory set to plow. i dont think you can get plow prep on the crew cab, but i have seen many crew cabs with plows on em.

6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Just put load boasters on the front of that even with out anything i think putting a normal 8' blade would be alright.I think a 8' meyers would be good for that truck.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

You should have no problem putting a plow on it. You might wanna think about getting a lighter plow for the truck if it dont have snowplow prep. a 8.5 would be a great size for the truck. :cool:

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

A snoway is also a good option,as they are a bit lighter than most plows,and have the down pressure system. www.snoway.com for more info.

Timbren load boosters will help keep the front end up,and make it easier on the front end.

9. CHEVYDIESEL03

wow i didnt think i would get such a response, i guess the weight would have something to do with it, my truck is an extended cab long bed in arrivel blue. i was looking into a western 8 ft ultra mount. id like to get a boss but the truck configurator on the website wont allow it. i still have some time but any advice you guys could give me would be apprisiated. i thibk i am gonna have to do airbags in the front b/c i have 285/70 tires and if the front drops any more then i will be rubbing PICS COMMING SOON!!!!

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with the Timbren's over the airbags.They are cheap,easy to install,and never wear out.You can even take them out in the spring if you wish,a 5 minute job.

A few turns of the torsion bar adjusters will help too.Turn them up a bit for the winter and back down in the spring when the plow comes off.Count the number of turns you go so you can put them back afterwards.

11. CHEVYDIESEL03

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE TORSION BARS. IS THERE ANY BENIFIT OR DOWNSIDE TO CRANKING THEM UP ALL THEY WAY AND LEAVING THEM. I HAVE 285/70/16 TIRES AND A LITLE MORE FRONT CLEARENCE WOULDNT HURT

12. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

GM doesn't offer the plow prep with the diesel in the extended and crew cab models because in theory you can carry up to 5 passengers... with the weight of the diesel nd the passengers you would overload the front axle... that said, I don't know anyone that plows with 5 passengers... so go ahead and put any plow you want on it... I doubt you have any trouble even with a V-Plow...

13. CHEVYDIESEL03

thats a stupid reason if i ever heard one. but it answers my question. can anyone tell me how to get my truck on this site if i dont have a scanner??

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You can get the plow prep on his model,the only HDs that you cannot get the snow plow prep are the 8100 and duramax crew cabs,all 6.0 crew cabs,and every other model has a plow prep option,chevydiesel03's just didnt have the option,it was available though. Id puit timbrens on it,and thats it,it shouldnt have a sagging problem.

15. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Thanks, John... I wasn't sure on the extended cabs.. I know it's not available on crew cab diesels and the reason is the number of passengers you can carry... BTW is anyone interested in a silver metalic Silverado? I know where there are 2 extended cabs and 2 crew cabs in that special order color...

16. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I think the only things the plow prep package would have that the diesel doesn't already have would be the aux. light wiring and the skid plates... can you think of anything esle?

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

VYU plow prep has HD torsion bars,they are RPO option # F60. I wouldnt worry about not having the plow prep.

18. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I thought that with the diesel you got the F60 tosion bars because of the extra weight of the diesel?

19. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

SnoWay will be introducing a new plow, the Predator 32 which we have been beta testing for them. We like it a lot, and it should do the trick nicely on your Silverado. It has a new mount that trims a little length (which is the main reason Chevy doesn't offer the plow prep option for your truck) off the whole plow assembly.

20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict