1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a 5500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NLS1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Anyone here use a 4x4 5500? I would like to put a Swaploader hook lift on it, have a salter bed made, a dump/skid steer box made and a lawn bed made with leaf box, etc. Seems like it would be great for plowing too, granted it isn't the smallest truck around, but seems fine for lots and such. I think this would be a great alternative to hauling several trailers and buying a designated dump truck. Looking for anyone who has some experience owning and operating one. I did a search, but limited info that is related. How are the engines in these larger trucks compared to the pickups? I think a nice used one might be a good alternative to a new Dodge 5500. Then again, maybe not?
    Any info is sure appreciated.

2. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

My friend just bought two of them for his landscape company. They are definetly more rugged than a 550 and probably the Dodge too. But due to the weight of the trucks, the payload, etc numbers are lower. Reguardless he can load the trucks up and the rear springs never move. However they are a little sluggish in my opinion. I belive they have a 5:30 gear and around 300HP. Id look into the new 5500 Dodges, they seem to have good specs and probably cost less.

3. snowpro1

snowpro1 Member

Here's a pic of our latest 5500 '07. I am switching over to 4500's and 5500's from ford f-450 and 550's I have found them much more of a truck. Heavier frame, axles, springs etc.
    Allison tranny is awesome, duramax is quiet and much more fuel efficient. '07 motor has 360HP and 650 Torque. Was a Ford man for 25 years, still have a bunch, but I am trading them in on chevy's.

oct 07 110.jpg

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Now that is a truck!

Nice! So big and meaty!
    Any problems so far with the others?
    How much for just the chassis cab?
    Is the turning radius good?
    Thinking of using it for really small driveways!:jester: I love the size of the Chevy, would get lots of attention for the business, especially in a bright color or something!
    Thanks for the pics!