1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a '04 Dmax...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Aug 19, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Hello GM world! I'm in the market for a newer plow truck and I found a '04 Dmax with plow and 80k miles. I've been a Ford guy all my life and have a good handle on there problems. I'm hoping to look at this truck this week and I would like some advice on what problems or issues these engines had and what to look for in a used one.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Cracked frames.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Try to check balance rates on injectors, at least make sure that it has no smoke at idle. Injectors are very common in the 1st generation duramax (LB7). Also check the transfer case for pump rub (google what it is).

If you buy it, do the pump rub upgrade, and install a lift pump with filter for better filtration to help your injectors last.

Beyond that, just typical truck stuff. Frame condition, ball joints, tie rods, brake lines etc.

4. dieselboy01

Ok guys! I know about pump rub, a friend just had his fixed. Did or does GM have frame problems?

5. SnowGuy73

Up until about 07 2500/3500HD frames crack with a blade on them.

Do a search on here, you'll find it.

6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

The frame cracks are very sporadic. Not every truck will crack. It's good insurance to weld in the gussets, and its not hard or expensive either. If the truck is an LLY motor, there's really no issues with it.

7. dieselboy01

I went and looked the Dmax today. It was a two hour drive to the "dealership" and all the roads around it were under construction so it was a lot of fun to get to, but then again this state only has two seasons, winter and road construction. The sales man starts the truck as I start my walk around. The frame was good, altho it was it recently undercoated. I picked up the controller to raise the Boss Vee and the raise button just fell off. I bring this to my salesman's attention to which he replied "that's why you ask before you touch things". He clams it was just fine before I touched it. The rest of the truck had a few scratches, rip in the drivers seat, both bumpers tweeked, and a little rust starting on the rockers. It had a few to many imperfections for only 80k miles and I thought not worth $24k. I would be a buyer at $20 which he told me wouldn't happen. The best part is with the controller broken the plow wouldn't raise and I could not take a test drive. 4 hours of driving for a 10 min truck inspection.

8. dieselboy01

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a '04 GMC reg cab 6.0 with 81k and a ultramount. I hope it goes better.

Anything to look at or worry about with a GM 6.0?

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Better off buying a used truck with no plow then having one put on. A plowtruck with 80k is like a nonplowtruck with 280k...jmo

10. 2006Sierra1500

I have an 04 GMC regular cab with the 6.0 and it plows great. Keep an eye on the engine and transmission temperature and it'll be fine.

11. SnowGuy73

Exhaust manifolds and frame breaks....

12. 2006Sierra1500

Forgot about the manifolds...yeah mines starting to leak and it only has 45k on it. Definitely check for exhaust leaks.

13. SnowGuy73

That's about when mine went too.

14. dieselboy01

That's usually my thinking to. Most of the trucks I've been finding lately have plows on them.

15. dieselboy01

Thanks guys! I'll report back with my findings!

16. SnowGuy73

Good luck!

17. dieselboy01

This truck was also a no go. They were stuck on the $16,999 price. The body was clean, inside was good, the frame and axles had a good coat of rust but it's a ten year old truck. It came with a 8.5' ultramount that was in ok shape. NADA said the truck was worth $13,900 I was thinking around $15k, but they wouldn't budge. It took a lot of talking to get them to fill the gas tank if I bought it. (and the fuel light was on!) Maybe I'm just being to picky but I don't see how this truck is worth $16,999.

The past few dealerships I've been to said "we don't negotiate" or "our prices are as low as they can be" I'm really starting to dislike truck shopping.

I know this isn't the right place to post this but I'm still looking for a truck. If anyone has one to sell, let me know.

18. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better pretty similar situation here in southern Maine. Very very limited selection and what is offered for used is grossly over priced. The independent dealer I bought my current truck from even admitted that they put stuff on the lot they would of wholesaled 5-6 years ago and that a good clean plow truck will be few and far between.

I have also wasted time going to look at some used stuff I found on the internet only to be very disappointed. Waste of time, which I have very little of. I've decided to stop wasting my time and refuse to spend 15k for a 10 year old truck with over 100k miles. I'm just going to spend $ fixing up my 2000 Chevy and put a new plow on it.

19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you went to Lenz?????? :rolleyes:

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Used car prices are way up. I'm having quite a debate with myself on buying new or used for the wife. Many instances I found I could spend 5, 6, or 7 thousand more and get a new one with no miles and not 50 thousand miles.