1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinking about 9'2" V BOSS

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowcrazy, Jan 30, 2014.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hello all, got a question or two for yas. I have a new 2014 gmc sierra 2500hd getting a plow put on it TOMARROW. It was a decision last minute but there putting on a 7.5 boss superduty with pro wings. I thought about calling them tomorrow morning and telling them to just install the v plow instead. but before I do that I wanna ask a few questions. I plow a lot of restaurants where I have to shove snow over the curbs. I cant imagine this would work very well with it in v so do you guys just get to the curb and start slowly taking it out of V shave to straight and shove over the curbs?

They look sweet as hell and nobody seems to have anything bad to say about them so I figure it would be a good move....... Let me know what you all do in that situation. Thanks!!!!!

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

you wouldn't ever really be plowing in the V, only on the initial breaking open of the lot. Other than that you can turn it into to straight blade to windrow and put it into scoop or leave it as a straight blade to push over curbs. Scoop allows you to carry a lot of snow without loosing it all off the sides which is really helpful for moving a lot of snow at once. I would say go for it, but its not my money either. Haha

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you not on the phone now ordering that 9.2?

4. grandview

As for the restaurant curb,take a pass a few feet out from the curb first ,this get snow away from the curb,Second pass put in scoop or a dog leg and run the plow against the curb.

5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I haven't really checked on pricing. On average about how much more expensive are the v's?

6. grandview

For the few extra bucks it costs you'll pay for it by being done faster and getting back into bed.

7. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well, they closed at 5 and honestly by the time I have the straight blade installed with wings which are 700 extra bucks I say why not spend a little more and just get a V???? They have a bunch of these plows on site at this place. Grandview I know you can answer this one, what are the differences in the vxt and dxt????? There site doesn't give much info that seems different. I mean at the dealer site I guess I could go to boss website!! Ill do that now!

8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Definitely get a v, best decision i ever made. Run at the curbs in scoop, then when you get close drop the wings back to straight and pick the plow up a little and youre good to go.

The dxt has full trip and trip edge. If i was buying new i would get that but i got my power v used for a great price

9. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

It's different wiring too so you need to tell them before they install the straight blade setup

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wiring is same different controller is all

11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well that does it.... Ill try and see if they will let me change my mind...... I had them order in the wings so that may be where they wont want to do the deal........... anyways, so if you just the vxt if you have the plow in scoop mode can it still break away when you hit something?? Seems that would put it in a heck of a spot.

Thnx for all the replies fellas, This place has helped me tremendously since Ive joined!

12. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

V all the way. Big advantage is clearing lanes when cars are parked. Windrow to the center of the isle then back up and scoop the windrow. Drop the wings back as you touch the curb and double tap up to pile past the curb.

13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The wigs have relief valves just like as traight blade, they move if you hit something

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I went from a straight 8.5blade with pro-wings to a 8.2 DXT V with Boss wings this fall and should have made the move to a V years ago.
    I do a mix of driveways, commercial and roads, the V easily shaved 1.5hrs off of my 8hr route. The way I see it is now have can take on more work and still maintain a 8hr route.
    There's no problem with push over curbs, the relocate snow great, make for easy clean up and stack like a SOB
    Get the V, you won't be disappointed.

15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

So did you get it or what?

16. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Just thinking here, but isn't this 9'2 dxt going to be kind of heavy on this truck?

Whoops! He was only talking a regular V even at the beginning, not a VXT. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Yes guys I did in fact get it worked out. According to them My truck will be fine for the 9'2" boss dxt....... They weren't real happy about me changing my mind but they did it. they were supposed to put plow on today but sold there last 6 v plows (yes 6) this week and didn't have one coming until the end of next week. I felt bad about that but hey I wanted it!!! LOL

According to them on the boss site my truck was rated for this plow so I guess it will take it???? LOL

18. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

You will not regret getting a V. I have had 9'2" s for years and there is no better plow

19. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

okay so I don't have the information on my truck since its at the shop but from what Im gathering when I type in a google search field "front axle rating for 2014 gmc 2500hd it is saying it is 4400lbs???? Wonder if this plow will be to big???? Boy I hope not. the boss site doesn't give you information on there site about the dxt v plow yet so its got me wondering. I do see a video on youtube of the boss dxt where I see it on a chevy 2500 though??? not sure if its a 9'2" though........... def a dxt though.......

20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What engine do you have? Axle rating is on your door jamb

It'll be fine though just crank tbars.