1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about 08 Ram 2500 Cummins...suggestions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by theguynextdoor, Oct 3, 2010.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have come across what appears to be a good deal on an 08 Ram 2500 Cummins, Loaded, quad cab/short bed. It has 21,000 miles and is going for under $34,000. It would be my first diesel, so I'm trying to do some research on this truck and what kind of problems it has. Boss and Western sites recommend nothing larger than a 7'6" plow, but I need want a minimum 8ft straight blade, maybe an 8'6" Western pro plus. Would it be a problem for the front end of the truck? If so, can I beef it up? Anything else I should know about running this truck for plowing and towing a dump trailer for landscaping?

Thanks for any advice on the truck.

2. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Buy it, It will plow fine.....I have lots of them with 9,2 v Plows

3. jamiller830

jamiller830 Junior Member

don't hesitate I have two 08 2500 and love them . one has a 8' straight blade and the other has a 8' 2" v blade, and they handle them just fine.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Myself stick to the pre 07.5's, the ones with the 5.9. Sure the 6.7 has great features but the 5.9 is more reliable, better on fuel and not emmissioned to death. Don't get me wrong the 6.7 is a great drive line but the pros don't outweigh the cons IMO for that era.

The new body style trucks might have what it takes to get me in a 6.7....... Never the less stay away from the cloth interiors!!! They are the worst part of the Dodge next to the front ends!!!

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just unplug the EGR on it and you'll be fine.

Buy it, you can turn around and sell it for $2G more with that mileage.

6. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Can not go wrong with cummins. What trans. does it have?

7. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I went to the dealer to buy it, but it had sold that morning. :realmad:

8. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Wow, I would have figured so. They are in demand. 08 was not the best year. Check around and see what you can find. They are around down south, here in Okla. and Texas. May be worth the drive.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Man trucks are getting expensive. I purchased my 06 Ram QCSB Big Horn Cummins brand new in mid 2006 with less than 20miles on it for $33,160. I think my truck is probably still worth $26,000 and it has 35,000 miles

10. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

These diesel trucks are really holding there value amazingly well. You got a great deal in 06 though. I bought my 03 ram 3500 diesel 4x4 crew cab for $37,000 in 2003. I dont think you can touch a new one now for under $45,000.

I see the same truck as mine listed for sale on autotrader with more miles than mine for $22-24,000.... Completely crazy to pay that for an 8 year old truck with almost 100K miles but i guess people are willing to pay the price not to have to deal with the emissions equipment on the newer ones.:drinkup:

At least I will have a sizeable trade in when the time comes to buy a new one.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just a heads up- I know of someone personally who spent $27,000 on a 70k mile 2006 truck granted it was a laramie w/leather. I just looked at a pretty beat up 06 with 55k miles on it going for $30,000. If you want $26,000 for your truck, I will sell my truck today and drive down with a check.

Its really sad and good at the same time how high prices are going. I have dealers offering me $2,000 more than what I bought my truck for just 5 months ago on trade. The downside is, the trucks I'm looking at are $4,000 more than what they were last fall. To think I almost pulled the trigger on an 05 Superduty Ext cab 6.0 with 65k miles on it all setup for a Fisher Plow, sport edition (all color matched/no chrome), with an asking price of $18,500 before negotiations.....

12. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete Junior Member

I just picked up a 2005 4 door 4x4 with 122k for 17,000 and it is a base model truck no power windows or locks. these trucks are in HIGH demand, cummins 5.9 motor will hands down beat any other light duty truck out there.
    i will be selling my 01 cummins with 6 speed standard shift 250k. i hate to see it go but i cant work out of the short bed. There have been a few occasions that i have pulled other 7.3 fords (on dry pavement..insert man grunt here :)), and un stuck concrete mixer trucks and dump trucks.

i love my cummins. i will never own another brand. the front axles on the dodges arent so bad, just keep em lubed, i have had 2 and now a third and had to replace ball joints on both (un greaseable joints) i put greaseable joints in a no more problems

forgive the spelling first cup of coffee

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I never leave the dealer with out a set of FACTORY seat covers. They fit perfect, have a rams head on the headrest (coolness factor counts:laughing:) and my 01's cloth interior looked brand new when the covers came off at trade in time.

14. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

u can buy alot of ujoints for 2k just put greasable ball joints and spicer u-joints and you wont have any trouble.

16. OldSchoolGSXR

OldSchoolGSXR Junior Member

I have an 08, owned it for 2 years and have put over 100,000 on it. Love it! I run a 9 1/2' Fisher V plow and it is great.

17. OldSchoolGSXR

OldSchoolGSXR Junior Member

Buy the Carli Suspension Chrome moly ball joints! Expensive but they will be the last ball joints you will ever buy for that truck! I wasn't a believer until 3 sets of factory under warranty, 2 sets of Moogs and my current pair of Carli uppers! All prior to 40,000 miles. 108,000 and still as tight as day one!

18. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Huge Fan of the 5.9. The 6.7 great engine but all the emissions attached to it are creating problems. I have 249,000 miles and or 5,612 hours. Running strong. It is looking like I maybe replacing the torque converter. Without a doubt change out the Ball and Ujoints to top shelf products and Voila no problems. It is amazing to see how Diesel trucks are holding there value. Just for the fun of it I looked up what it would cost to replace the 5.9. On the low end with a motor that had 70k on it they are asking $7,500. High end was $11,000. Even parts are holding there value.