1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinkin of buying a snowex?

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by suzuki0702, Feb 3, 2011.

1. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

:cry:ill never ...ever buy another snowex product as long as i live. Nor will i recommend their product to anyone. Snowex, you put me in the worst position I care to be in this last storm. Ice storm from hell and a salter with a brand new trynex motor and trans that doesnt have the power to bring the salt out of the hopper. $1200 right down the drain! :realmad: Good goin, great product. I recommend anyone looking at these products to look elsewhere

Flame off

2. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that but I've had one for two years and never have had a problem.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

did you buy this new or used? i got one and never had an issue unless i left salt sit in it and it froze

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

used..but every mechanical piece on this thing is new.
    motor, trans, and controller...all new

5. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

You have to make sure it's aligned in the center of the tub or the salt will bind and snub the motor. I rebuilt a 1075 and had the same problem until I did this. The bolt holes seem tight but there is slop with the bolt in.

6. clark lawn

from NE ohio

so you buy a USED item, attempt a rebuild and then bash the manufacturer when it doesn't work. maybe the problem was the rebuild.

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

:nod:I would agree, not to piss on anybody, but "we" ( the guys in the field ) need to perfect the manufactures product, by making necessary mods to the product, better than they care to make, know where im coming from?

8. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i have had one for 5-6 years and never had an issue with it other than ME leaving salt in it and it froze up on me. Im saying before you BASH a product you should state that you bought it used and attempted to make repaires/rebuild it yourself.

9. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

I bought a new 1075 this year and havent had any problems out of it. We've also had another 1075 for 9 years and all we've replaced is the transmission.

10. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

We won't buy any brand

besides Snow-Ex, whom did all the work to your unit? Did they know what they were doing? Comments and bashing like you are doing seems a bit unprofessional and uncalled for. Before your rant did you try to get some support or advice from a dealer etc.?

11. timsteinman30

timsteinman30 Member

snowex = junk .

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I only used snowex my whole life. I bought a used one this year needing a motor and trans, replaced both and i could'nt be happier.. I have never had an issue that wasn't related to normal wear and tear or operator error.

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

work on the unit? theres 4 bolts mating the trans to the body. No alignment adjustment for the auger to be in the center of the chute. All parts are Trynex "OEM" quality. If I buy a product and I "the consumer" have to make adjustments to make it work theres something wrong period. agreed? Unprofessional for a buying a product and expecting it to work when you need it!

clark lawn, why sell new parts if you cant make them work together...maybe i should have just went out and bought a new one when the "rebuild" failed...stating my opinion of the product. dont like it, dont comment

14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You and I are on the same page, I was just saying the same as you did, dont bash someone just make it work

15. clark lawn

from NE ohio

if you bought it new and it didnt work that would be one thing but the fact that it was bought used makes it buyer beware. you dont know the hustory behind the thing, maybe the origanal owener backed into something and tweeked the frame a little??

i read your other post on this and i know what your problem was and the proper way to fix it without cutting it like you did. like i said something was not done properly.

16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

Its not the unit im not happy with as a whole. The OEM parts I purchased arent working as they should. You know the proper way to fix it? Funny, I swore i begged someone , anyone, to give me any kind of ideas. Thanks for your help griswald! If you had a bad experience with a product or anyone else on this site. I'd expect the same from you. Browse up, you'll see where I posted unit was used with all new mechanical parts. Thought we were here to help the industry and eachother out.....Just sayin I'm not going to give my hard earned money to this company. Bought used, learned early.

17. clark lawn

from NE ohio

well by the time i saw your question you had already did what you did. i am just saying that if you are going to come on here and bash a company then you should state outright that the product that you are using was 1) pushased used and 2) rebuilt by someone other than a dealer.

18. clark lawn

from NE ohio

OH, and the reason that you kept blowing fuses........................................you had too small of a fuse in there.

the correct one is a 35 amp SLOW BLOW fuse. those are designed to take the added draw that is pulled by an electric motor at start up. i believe they pull close to 40-45 amps for a second to start up.

so like i said the problem was not the product but the opperator/installer/rebuilder.

19. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

Wrong. They pull 25 under load. Wasnt blowing fuses at startup. Had put a 50 amp fuse in there. Even eliminated the fuse.. Ive had enough of this.. Think twice before u defend junkie products just cause u have good luck . Maybe its cause urs is hooked up to a chevy

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  20. clark lawn

from NE ohio

"just picked up a used 575. motor was replaced in 09 and i just put a new karrier trans in it. the motor seems good. no bad bearings, it runs just fine. im running it off a switch rated for 30amps. my problem is when i first turn it on with salt in the hopper, the thing has noooo torque, just draws too much and blows the fuse. i removed the fuse assembly and it seems to run fine without it but am i asking for a fire? i moved the auger all the way to the top of the shaft and that seemed to help but didnt solve the problem. is this a common problem? "

isnt this your post from the problem?

they draw 25 amps when running but alot more on start up. that is why you need a SLOW BLOW fuse.

i put an inductive amp meter on mine that has a record for the highest amp draw, it was 15 degrees outside when i did this and no salt in the hopper. it peaked at 42.7 amps.