1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thinkin of building my own wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 8, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i really want wings for my plow. makes a decent difference on lots.

anyone got any good pictures?

2. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

I think YOU would be better off buying a set of Pro Wings. After seeing your post on adding springs to your plow and considering your fabrication tools and experience, you would be better off to buy a premade set.

Buying a set would probably be cheaper in the end as well.

3. birddseedd

Iv never had a weld fail.
    Youre making a judgement based on a single low rez image in low light and want to jump on a bandwagon of redicueling me to make youreself look better.

can a mod please remove these posts so i might be able to get some real help.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should use Google for pics...?
    You might not get much positive after your last thread.

5. birddseedd

tried google. the pics are overall images. not up close showing how they hook up and showing what bracket holds them on and everything that i would need to know to make them.

as far as any other thread, if someone wants to redicule someone over something they cannot even see, i caint stop them

6. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

I will be attempting to build mine soon, pictures are lacking for wings. Trust me I looked. Everyone has their own way of building them. Some people just slap a piece of metal on the end. Other take the time and make it quick disconnect. From my knowledge as a welder/metal fabricator make a frame out of 1inch square tubing, use 1/8th steel for ribbing (obviously cut the metal so it follows the contour of plow it will look like a this ( or a half oval) weld it all up. Uses pins to secure it to the plow along the outside edge of the plow. Then make a bracket that connects to the wing and second rib....here are some links for ideas

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=106086

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You'll be able to buy'em cheaper than you can build them. And they'll be the strongest part left of your plow.

8. birddseedd

cheapest i can find is 200 bucks.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You'll have at least that much in materials and cutting fees. Plus your time.

You can buy them ready made, ready to bolt on with a warranty and good welds for less than you can build them for.

10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You're money would honestly be better spent saving up for a newer plow.

11. birddseedd

i caint say that i havent made that mistake before. tho i can get metal pretty cheap.

12. birddseedd

Thanks for the link, thats the detail i was looking for.

tho im not sure how ill make the ribs. i dont really have the right tool that would be able to make the curved cut.

when i added 1.5 inch to the ends of the plow i simply put angel iron braces across the back. yes. the last owner moded it 3 inches short of a standard size. cut the ends off another plow, cut through and welded the cutting edge and everything. was quite a pain when i went to put a new edge on it.

13. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. Just stating what I see. Not trying to ridicule you, or make myself look better. Truth is, it would be cheaper for you and safer for the people that share the road with you, for you to buy premade wings instead of cobbling even more rusted junk on your plow.

As previously stated, you would be better off to save up your money and buy a whole new plow at this point.

14. birddseedd

there is nothing unsafe about my plow. which you havent even seen

15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Denial.

It's not a river in Egypt.

16. birddseedd

how can you people say a peice of equipment is unsafe when you uave never even seen it?

17. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I think they are talking about your welds that look like 'bird poop'

18. birddseedd

that picture was taken in such low light and doesent look anything like the actual peice.

the weld penetrated the entire width of the metal. its plenty strong enough to hold the spring and much more. of course the under carriage and other parts i spent more time on.

19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That's what we're worried about.

20. birddseedd

i spend more time, more care, more prep and overall work harder to make strong welds that have widthstood thousands of lbs of impact.

and youre worried that being more carefull is a bad thing???

are you freakin serious