1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think we will finally find some good deals on equipment this spring?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maelawncare, Jan 30, 2013.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well I'm calling it over. Putting up my plows on the shelves and stacking my salt. This seasons over.

This isn't the first time in the last decade that we had two no snow winters in a row. But got me thinking. We will finally be able to find used snow equipment that isn't priced dam near new?

I've been looking for a few more plows and salt spreaders but all the used stuff has been dam near new the last 3 or 4 years. I am hoping that after two bad winters people will finally call it quits and get rid of their stuff.

What do you guys think?

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

LOL! It's January still!

And if you are calling it a done tom turkey, why do you want more snow removal equipment?

3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

My area never really sees a good storm till after Feb anyway, and we have had three GOOD (6+") storms in Dec and Jan.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Man are you sure you want to buy more snow equipment with 2 slow winters in a row?

To answer your question - oh yeah, there will be some guys getting out of snow work, and selling off there stuff cheap. It's too bad.

5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I was surfing Craigslist the other day and theres alot of plow trucks for sale. some pretty decent stuff too.

6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I think you will see a good amount out there

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I'm looking for a deal on a newer 9'6 extreme v stainless.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I thought I pulled a Rip van Winkle,had to check calender.I thought cherry brandy followed by sambuca was affecting me! It is but ,but not enough to see it's only Jan 30.Still got 8 weeks to go! Don't be a negative Nelly :eek:

9. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

We may not be getting a lot of accumulation but we are still seeing billable events and seem to be on track for average # or events. We are taking a little hit on the residential as we don't usually do them unless it is 2 or more, but it is a small portion of our business.

10. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

You usually see the opposite in low snow years. Aside from guys liquidating most are hanging onto stuff longer either in fear of the payment buying new or lack of funds etc. hard to tell though there's a rediculous amount of shiney new iron out there in Chicagoland this winter.

11. coleex

coleex Junior Member

Damn! Cherry brandy & Sambuca all in one evening? Someone's trying to put the bad winter behind them.

12. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

im hoping for some nice deals but with two bad winters next November nobody going to be buying. IM want to pick a few plows up though.

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Tonights combo was sambuca,then out for onion and sausage pizza and a pitcher of Bud-light! Loading up for Sundays event,either plowing or super bowl! Maybe both.

14. bigz64

bigz64 Junior Member

wow i havent been on this forum for a few months, been to busy. we are on track to 2010/2011 snow fall levels. we are planning to haul snow off site for the second time this year. snow is only supposed to be a part of our business but its taking up to much time. there have been weeks where we have plowed our commercials 3-4 times in a week, all per visit basis. we are all sick of the snow already, good money though. about 3 feet sitting on the ground now. firewood sales up this year too