1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think this woke up the driver? Crash!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MRBachand, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I bought this plow 4 years ago (4th season with it coming up). It came with my truck and was beat to all hell, moldboard rotted and cracked, top non existant, plowframe all rusted, rendered junk to most.....

I did alot of fabrication and creative metal work to make this thing useable. Adding a few hundred lbs of weld & material to it...

Well, first season I just went with it, and was relatively hassle free.

2nd season I had a sander also, so did alot more sanding than plowing.

3rd season I gave it a nice new 8"tall x 5/8'th x 9' cutting edge.

NEver gave me any problems except for occasional freeze ups due to moisture, so this year I rebuilt my rusted out lift cylinder.

Anyhow, been replacing pins also, and every pin I took out looked like hell, so I figure I'll change them all.

Take a look at my 3 main pins up front, center pivot and 2 rams.

Also look at that crack (must have been there for years, just never noticed it before as it was all beatup)

I just painted her Sunday, and these cracks are hidden behind the outer trip springs. One on each side.

Ouch! No wonder my moldboard was cracked and rotted out when I bought it... I swear my old lift cylinder is a tad bent, but I havn't confirmed that yet.

Little weld fix her up for years to come!

Plow Crack 001.JPG

Plow Crack 002.JPG

Plow Crack 003.JPG

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So your the one who bought that plow I used for 16 years ,then bent it when I hit that ramp!

3. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

LoL, yep! It bought my truck & plow 2 1/2 times over already!

It use to plow highway 495 on and off ramps... so whatever was hit, was hit going fast and hard. plus the truck at that time weighted at least 9500lbs with the plow on....

Even signs of bent truck frame too.... more like a buckle/small crack on each frame rail. Been gusseted with 1/2 steel plate since a few winters ago when my push plates came loose.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well having a couple older plows ourselves, can tell you the pins, new ones will look like that after one season. and the cracks thats the common location. that and just above the pins that attach the trip edge to the moldboard. We constantly watch those areas for cracks.

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Wow, I figured it took 12 years to get in that condition....

I guess its good news that these are 'no big deal' shape...I do neighborhoods, so I plow very slowly and can always keep up with the storms so I honestly plow no faster than 5 mph... When I trip on something, I remember where, and I creep up to it next time, so I'm super easy on my equiptment.

Excited this year, as it turns out the plow got a prety good 90% overhaul.... I'll save the one non replaced cylinder so I have something to do next year :)