1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think this will work?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Hammer24, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

I only have 2 accounts as of right now and other then those I plow my driveway and my parents. I told the 2 accounts that I don't sand/salt, I plow only, one customer is persistent that I salt/sand their driveway, they know it will cost more and they have no problem paying payup. I don't have a problem with doing so, however I don't have a spreader. We had an ice storm a week or so ago and I did the driveway shoveling off sand/salt mix off the back of my truck...what the hell was i thinking! :dizzy: Anyways, I don't care to spend 600+ for a new one, besides i have a 1/2 ton. I found this one and it has an optional receiver hitch mount...What do you think, will this work?

Optional Receiver Mount:
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It won't work w/ sand unless you have a vibrator on it. How big are these drives?
  3. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

Thats what I figured...the driveway that wants me to sand/salt is roughly 125-150 feet long.
  4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

That's not really all that long. You could just take a 5 Gallon bucket of mixed salt/sand & a cup & go to town. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I've done that on more than a couple sidewalks when the spreaders have broken down.
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I dont have a nice truck mounted spreader, so I just use my push fertilizer spreader. It gets er done and you can adjust the amount like the big spreader. You can probably buy a cheap broadcast spreader and have it work fine. I picked mine up on the side of the freeway:D
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I use the same thing thermos dose. A broadcast spreader works great for small areas.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

when i first started out i would go to the hardware store ( best prices for sand and salt packaged ) i would mix the sand and salt together in a tupperware tote. I believe about a 50 gallon or so. I would then keep that in the back of the truck as ballast and use it as i needed. I went with seperate sand and salt because i had no way to keep pre mix together. I would toss a few extra bags in the back in case i needed more. If you have long drives to do then a walk behind spreader would be good. If your drives are fairly short then just use a scoop or one of those plastic maxwell coffee cans...

good luck to ya.
  8. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

I have one just like that, Have used it for 3 years without a problem. It will not do sand or any material like that at all.. It works if you use only very dry material like bagged salt or deicer (magic,etc).

If your not using a lot if they don't want sand go down to home depot/lowes etc and buy some bagged deicer and use it. The unit it self has never let me down and I use it a lot, I know have another larger tailgate unit but still use this for a second truck/backup
  9. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I think he was wanting to stick w/ the salt & sand mix. Otherwise the spreader he had found on ebay would work perfect.
  10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Get a GOOD push spreader like the new Meyers and it should be all you neeed...
  11. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll have to see if they will go for all salt, if so looks like what I looked at will work...if not, I'll get myself a heavy duty walk behind...either one beats the hell out of how i was doing it :nod: ... driving 5 feet spread with a shovel, drive 5 more feet spread some more...you get the picture...It SUCKED! :rolleyes:
  12. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

13. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

we use earthway spreaders they work fine just take out the cotter pin... also if you are lookin to save $ just use the bucket and can works great and its cheep.. good luck:waving:
  14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought the step down from that one for $60.... works great....but only holds 65lbs....