1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think this will work?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by deicepro, Sep 12, 2010.

1. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

So every once in awhile I get sand that freezes to my auger and its a PITA. So while I have my spreader torn apart to paint, I thought what about a line that is mounted under the inverted v that would spray liquid salt to the auger and thaw it out quicker so I dont have to run it in the shop and let it sit. Let me know your thoughts. Mark from Snowex, no stealing my idea.:laughing: Kubota?

002.jpg

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, that IS a good idea! Talk about thinking ahead! :salute:

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

How close to the auger can you get the nozzle? I see possible issues with the nozzle clogging, also possible trouble from liquid freezing up and then you have a real good chunk of ice.. If you worked out the details I think it's a great idea.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

another thought would be to run a 6" diameter tube under the v and pipe the exhaust through it, the heat radiated off the pipe should keep any freezing from happening and since there are no holes no clogging would happen. you just have to figure out how to re-route your exhaust:dizzy:

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

And I qoute "Refer to post #3 AND dont leave the pump running and walk away"

004 (Small).jpg

:laughing::waving::D

Looks like a good idea, maybe a clogging problem, but you should maybe put a timer on this one?

For your veiwing pleasure, http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=98286

I laughed mao on that one for a long time.

004 (Small).jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  6. Kubota 8540

Sounds like you been brain storming here recently about Winter? This other thing I have has side tracked my snow thoughts recently it's called a JOB? Haven't had one all summer, now that I have a couple I want to mess with all the winter toys.

7. deicepro

Well....If I mount that pipe to the underside of the metal v, It will be 3" to 5" away from the top of the auger. I wont use nozzels just some less than 1/8" holes drilled in it, so 99% sure the pipe wont clog and 32% cacl2 isnt gonna freeze

I dont want to come outside after 20 minutes to find my vbox melted:eek::laughing:
    I just bought a '99 F550 dump that Im gonna modify to have a heated bed

8. deicepro

I filed a trademark for "liquid sand":laughing: Can I borrow your timer idea?:rolleyes:

Brainstorming=YES, work smarter, not harder, Im gonna mount nozzels on my front bumper so I can drive by and spray up to 10' of sidewalk and about 3' in front of the curb.
    Cold fingers tooo many times last winter

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

super cool idea, i want to here how this works, are you just going to tie it to the pre-wet system, or special tank? i have used windshild washer fluid tons of times to do this, but heck this should make it super fast

altho i might add, my salt does freeze up all that often, i would look into the stype of salt and how long its been in the hopper before i went to all that trouble...

10. deicepro

Im thinking about a 3-way valve that will go from "pre-wet" to "@#$& Thaw-out":laughing:
    Now that I think about it..... this might be a new way to pre-wet-mix.....:rolleyes:
    I have never ever had salt freeze even leaving it in the hopper up to 3 weeks.....

11. Kubota 8540

Like that timer idea don't you.....:laughing:

12. Grn Mtn

how do you melt stainless steel? or do you have one of them there plastic jobbies.

13. deicepro

Plastic jobbies:nod:

14. Grn Mtn

:laughing: :rolleyes: very hard to believe, unless this is a benefit to a plastic hopper - not transferring the cold. your salt also must be stored indoors and you cover it so as not to get wet while out on your route.

15. deicepro

sad but true, I have a $200 rubber tarp over the hopper, my salt is stored in 40' shipping containers

16. Kubota 8540

And the final results are........................?

17. deicepro

Works great for pre-treating the salt, mixes it together nicely......
    Have not tried straight sand yet but no doubts that it wont work...
    Also...I found a chart that says an 1/8" hole puts out 1.5gpm at 30 psi and 2.2gpm at 60psi............think that sounds right?