1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think my plowing abilities are below average

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yellowsnow, Feb 11, 2004.

1. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

Plowing is going fairly well for me this year. I had no expierence but have caught on quick with all the snow were getting. I have one job however I dont feel I'm doing a good job at. Basically I took on to much work, I just had trouble turning it down when I know I should have. I have a condo unit that is large with tons of little roads, driveways, and sidewalks. I havent recieved any complaints on it but I think it looks bad compared to other units I see in the area. Before I started they said they didnt want much salt if any used. These condos are on top of hill on a golf course so its always cold and windy there and theres no way around using minimum salt, really it should get more then normal to keep this place from getting icy. I did get a call the other day saying that a few cars got stuck, she didnt seem mad but wanted me to come right away which I did. Anyways this place has been stressing me out like crazy because I'm really trying to do a good job but no matter how much attention I give it never looks that great. Anyone else lose jobs when they started just due to lack of expierence? I have a feeling they wont be having do lawn work this summer but I'm more worried about my company name getting a bad rap. I might be stressing to much or being to critical of myself, really I cant wait this white stuff to melt and let spring be here.
  2. Blizzard15

Blizzard15 Junior Member
    from CT

You are probably doing fine you are just worrying to much on how it looks (like you said). If you only have one job to do then just spend a little more time to make it look neat.
    And about the salting, you should tell them that it needs it or people will fall and the ice will stay. In newengland about a day after every storm it gets warm so the snow on the walks and roads melt and if that happens where you are then you should go to it and scrape it all down.:nod:
    IF they dont want to use salt maybe consider sand??? if they reject that offer then i would tell them to get some one else cause i dont want to be the one that gets the heat if some one falls.:nono:
    - Ben
  3. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Your Worrying way, way to much

We all have had to start at one time
    I'm sure you feel over whelmed at times, we all do

I'm not sure what you mean when it doesn't look at good as other places ?
    As long as the snows off the road that's a good start

Here's some advice that was passed along to me

1) the customer is all ways right
    2) the customer, there all crazy

they all complain from time to time
    If they weren't happy to would be looking for a new place to plow

Your going to do just fine, you sound like your a hard worker
    and really care about what your doing.

You could call and ask about a review of the services received ?
  4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Glad you care about your work . Why not call the manager the next day , and ask if everthing is o k ? Document their response , for future reference / negoiating
  5. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

Good call lawn tek.
    My old boss used to push documenting every call. If it isn't documented it didn't happen. I keep track of all visits. Time, conditions, weather, etc. This way if anything ever comes back at me I have something to fall on. There are lots of weather sites that have weather history so it can be proved that at the time you were documenting, the weather matches. It may seem a little over the edge, but once you set up a form it only takes a couple of minuets to fill out, and you may be glad you did someday.
  6. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

the key to apartments and condo's is that you must come back during the day to clean up when people go to work as apposed to warehouses and offices which is oppsite. My condos don't have any place to put the snow so i have to put it in 1 to 2 visitor parking spots. bottom line don't stress!
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make up some log sheets and log what you do. Go back after storms and do a little cleanup, blast a little salt on the ice patchs, cleanup what you missed, just spend a little time here & there.
    It's never going to look "neat", when you get alot of snow and it don't melt, where you going to put it? Condo's are a pain no matter where they are in this country. You don't have to be real bright to own one, just have the money and be accepted into the complex.