1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think I'm nuts blowing instead of plowing???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ommegang, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

Traded my F250 in for an F150 - I just didn't like the hop-shake not to mention gas mileage and desired something more nimble. I can't believe the car-like ride in the 150. Anyway, now I have 3 lots total, an 8 familty with 16 car spots and 50' driveway, and two 8 car spot lots with 50' driveways. And, 2 120' driveways.Will look to sell my 2010 9'2 Boss VXT and get a big ass snow thrower. More laborious and in the elements but I have to do the walks on these properties anyway. lot1 is 20 miles away, lot 2&3 20 miles, then 10 miles home. What do you guys think stupid? I'm thinking maybe a track Honda 36" or Ariens- they are made in WI

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I think you'll find yourself overwhelmed and unable to keep up with those properties... even 1 of those properties I think is too much for a walk behind blower if there is a time schedule... in other words if you gotta have them all open by a certain time it's not going to happen. Blowing is too time intensive, IME.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with the above poster, a walk behind blower is to
    Time intensive, snow blowinging general isn't ;). Try it with an 100 hp tractor, and 92" blower, your tune will change.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, big mistake there. I wouldn't even put a plow on the F150, and if its a new one as you know you cannot even put one on there. I'd either drop the accounts, or sub-contract them out. If you sub them you might make a little extra change. But then you need to decide if its worth your risk in liability for just a few extra bucks...

But I would be interested in the 9' 2" Vxt... PM me with a price if your ready to sell.

5. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

Sorry guys, ther'e my only accounts, own and maintain. Just wondering if anyone throws lots like this. I'm hoping to get $4500 t on my plow. All wiring and plow bracket for 2011 F250. I think I'll live. Looking at an Ariens 32" for $2200.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Then why'd you ask...?

7. merrimacmill

from MA

I'm not knocking you, or your ideas but I'm just saying I think when your out there in a snow storm with 6-12 on the lot, you will become surprised quickly..

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy a compact tractor and trailer!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO you seriously run the risk of being overwhelmed. You will not be able to clear snow fast enough maintain control in 10+ inch storms particularly when you factor in the increased travel times.

I suggest you add the accessory cab, a good insulated suit/gloves and some chains to your purchase, you are going to be outside for a while.

I agree your old unit was overkill for your requirments but have you considered a plow for your 1/2 ton?

10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow removal

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you go the snow blower route:
    you have two real options.

A BCS gear driven 2 wheel tractor will be
    something to seriously look at as you will
    be able to either haul it on trailer with your
    truck or load it with a good pair of ramps-
    not the cheap fold ups, purchase the ones that
    have the curved ramps that are single ramps.

I wish I had done that to begin with-I still might do that.

The BCS 13 horse power 2 wheel tractor has Honda power
    and is a gear drive 2 wheel drive tractor

The wider BCS/BERTA snow caster attachment is 32 inches
    wide and also gear driven, The snow caster attachment is heavy
    and will not ride up on snow piles like the other brands.

Purchase one of the new yamaha track drive units and have it
    shipped from Canada The new machines have been very well
    recieved in Canada and the Yamaha dealer in Labrador has
    sold out of them again!!!

The Yamaha or BCS will be easier to load and will not require a trailer
    if you buy a good set of ramps.

You can always add a set of homemade snow gathering wings to the
    Yamaha or the BCS/BERTA snow caster attachment.

The Berta snow caster attachments were designed and tested in the alps
    for that snow removal market and they have been well recieved here.

======================================================

A used Kubota BX1860 or BX2360 with rear mount snow caster
    from Pronovost is another option but you wil need a 6 by 12 foot
    landscape trailer with electric brakes.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Someone is about 9 days late for April Fool's jokes.

Whew, thought something serious happened to leon.

12. merrimacmill

from MA

Looking at how new his old truck was, Id assume the F150 is new. You cannot put a plow on the new F-150s due to the electric assist power steering. I was told its too much of a draw on the electrical system and there is no plow manufacturer that will allow it.

Then again, this could have changed, but I was told this at the Boss Plow factory service tech class..

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway offers a plow for the new F150's. But I think they are the only one though.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Correct they do. There are almost 50 of them in service last year with no negative issues.
    They even have a unit for the Eco-Boost.

15. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

W/O voiding Ford warranty? I'm not sure am F150 is set-up for plowing. My Grandma used to live directly accross from you guys - Snow-Way that is. Factory direct pricing? What does the snow-way run price wise installed? At a dealer, of course. Let's see the specs too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012