1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think I'm in over my head...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by awddsm1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Continuation of my "too much work for one truck?" thread. Hoping to get a little more info and advice.

This will be my 2nd year plowing. First year consisted of 4-5 drives and one very small commercial lot. All were 2"+ triggers.

I have my 07 dodge mega cab with a 8' meyer (just got to replace the 7.5) and just ordered my pro-wings this morning. I also have a meyer tailgate spreader and a pallet of ice-melt ready to go.

I have a 5-6 drives to do again this year, not to concerned with these. What is concerning me is these 6 medium to large commercial lots. Sorry for the crappy pics, but I wanted to give you at least an idea of what I'm looking at.

First two are the big ones, two schools (grade and middle). First has two lots, each about 50 cars on each side, plus the playground to the rear. Second has one lot, about 80 cars, plus the bus drive out front and the playground to the other side. All wide open, nothing more than a basketball pole or two.

Third pic is the next biggest, strop mall, about 100 cars. 2 islands and 2 light poles to work around, plus a service drive around the back of the building.

Fourth is a church, about 100 cars also, but much simpler. Wide open and pretty straightforward.

2. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Last two are much smaller...

First here is a daycare, about 40 spots, again, pretty easy really.

Second is a small office, maybe 25 spaces here?

Everything is within about 15 miles, but there is definately some driving between them. biggest concern is that the schools need open by 7am, daycare by 6am, and everything else by 8am. From what I'm guessing, It looks like I'll be starting at 8 the night before to even think about getting done on time... which probably won't work out that well most of the time. Can someone with a lot more experience help me out with how much time these are going to take?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

1 truck? driving 15 miles? Yeah good luck with that. Here's what I think. First set of pics. Upper left-1 truck probably 1.5-2hrs. upper right-1 truck probably 2.5 hrs, left lower probably 1hr, lower right 1 truck 2.5-3hrs.

second set of pics probably 1.5-2hrs each. The pics are crap so its kinda hard to tell and this is based off a 2-3" snow fall.

So with one truck driving all that distance you'll be lucky to get one set (of the pics) done in a reasonable time.
  4. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

yea, I wish I could get better aerial photos... keep in mind the scale is off from one to the next also. I was pretty close on my guesses to some of your numbers, and way off on others.
  5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I agree with his numbers but cant tell if there are any islands or peninsulas in those lots. They really add time going around them and stacking with them.
  6. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Only one with islands is the bottom left on the first post.
  7. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Your over your head, your driving distance is whats killing you.
  8. one truck

i used to talk to the other plowers out there ,make sure you got a back up plan ,what if get stuck,break down !!! have you access to another plow guy with a backhoe,if it snows fer a week straight ,have you got any one to back you up. BACK UP ,try and have an emergency back up plan ahead of time cause brother i am tellin ya ,when the truck is down and the snow is fallin and the phone is ringin and yer ready to pull yer hair out,u will be glad you made some arrangements.i got a run 15 miles one way ,8 miles the other from my home town,i have three 4x4 with blades,my son ,myself and another lad.we start like 1 a.m. ,early bird gets the worm ,and i like to be off the roads when traffic start ,local roads are plowed round 4.a.m so i do lots first.remember who won the race????????,the turtle did!! peace and have FUN !!!!!
  9. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

there is no possible way you are getting those done with one truck...hire a sub or buy a truck and another plow and hire a driver
  10. Comet

Comet Senior Member

just select one of them to do with your route if you dont sub out ehhh!!
  11. vinny69

vinny69 Junior Member
    from canada

Back up,one truck i would not try it
  12. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Good Luck I would add another truck fast!
  13. prostk2

prostk2 Member

Didn't see any info as to whether or not you have to do any sidewalks or hand shoveling---if so you could have even more time on each sight!!
  14. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

what happens if you get dumped with 8" that starts @ 7pm and doesn't end till 7am, i don't think you will be able to handle anything like this, i would buy at least 1 or 2 more trucks, and hire som sub's with trucks, i think you have bitten off more than you can chew, sorry but that is how i feel. if you don't you will most likely lose them early on in the season, good luck
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get yourself another truck or a sub. There is no way you can do all that with one truck. Good luck.
  16. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

Thanks guys... although the news is my worst fear.

Time to start weighing the options...

Second truck? Perhaps a compact tractor or skid parked at the school (they are not far from each other)? Not sure if it's too late to find subs around here or not, got a couple guys that are willing to back me up in a pinch, but they have thier own routes. Few places I have to do some sidewalks, but not all. Maybe a shoveler would be a good idea also?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  17. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

you better get that 8 ft blade on because the STL 7.5 you have listed in your signature definitely won't get it done - that thing only weighs like 200 pounds
  18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

At an old employer, we did a school district with 6 schools total. Trust me, if you want to continue with this contract, you want salt down by 5 AM or so. You definately need to find a good sub, preferably with a truck. Also, think about going with something more than that 8' blade on that truck.
  19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

In order to get all of those places done in a timely manner. That's plowing, salting, and shoveling. I'd say you probably need a guy or two on shovel duty out in another vehicle, your current truck with a bigger blade 8.5ft+ (v plow with wings or a power plow would be better then a straight with wings), another truck with an 8ft+ blade on it (again, v blade or power plow would be best) and a bigger salter then your tailgate unit. Keep the tailgate unit around but a Vbox running bulk would be nice. But then you need a spot to keep bulk and a way to load it (bobcat, tlb, tractor with a loader,etc).

I'd say you probably would need 4+ people and 3 vehicles.
  20. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

To clarify a couple things...

No salt or sidewalks included at the schools... only a per hour to push anything over 2"... not my idea, trust me.