1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

think i'm done

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Feb 25, 2003.

1. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

well guys and gals i hate to say it but i think i'm done for the season. november= no snow
    december= no snow
    january= plowed 1 time and some salting
    february= plowed 5 times and some salting
    march= not looking good
    this years revenues will be less than last year for shur.
    gonna hafta cancell the order for my new rolls royce and get the remote controled toy instead.
    dan

2. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Dyna you must of looked at the march outlook forcast for wisc, minn, mich , It has been a rough year thats forsure we squeaked out a 2incher last night not even really forcasted so maybe at this point we turn to someone other than the weathermen for hope guess we keep our fingers crossed and toes and hope for something better in march.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

ya it's been a tough year for shur, this was the first season for full time plowing to, i was laid off in nov. when the ground froze up...i could have plowed every other day if needed. oh well springs coming.
    dan

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

02/03 has been the leanest year for snow in my area for probably the past 25 + years. We set dozens of records for high temps and low precip. I have only gone out 3 times this year, and I don't expect to have any more snow this year. My season contracts saved my butt this year, but they are only enough to cover my basic expenses, not too much to live comfortably on. I probably grossed 20% of a normal winter this season. Oh well we are ready to go and start spring cleanups and pruning. Only thing is now its clear and about -11C (12F) out and its too cold to work.Nature is really $#@*ing me this year.:realmad:

5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

This winter is a great reminder of why I kept my residential seasonal contracts. For me, its all about balancing out the contracts to provide a good income, no matter what type of winter we have.

Pickering - You forgort to add Northern IL. to your list. :D

Chuck B.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yeah,seasonals are the only way to fly,if you can sell them in your market area.No sweating it out waiting for snow.Hopefully you'll get some good snowfalls late this season to bring in some cash.The weather has been so screwy the last few years,you can't predict what will happen.

7. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Chicago'ans aint lookin so good either! This winter was a bad one. Plowed probably 6 times, but it was only that 2 inch light stuff. I am praying for snow this month and a little of march. But I remember in the late 80's, it was April, Didnt expect it, it was 50 degrees out and all of a sudden, 25 degees, We got 22 inches of snow!
    Thanks,

Ultimate lawns and more,

8. farmertim

farmertim Member

could be worse

You could be in Nw Wi Dyna plow.
    Ive plowed once so far this year.
    And no it doesn't look good for march.
    we have 5' of frost and no base to plow on again, so its going to be ruff ride if we do get any more snow.
    I'm glad I'm seasonal..
    Take care. Tim:waving:

9. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

as i've stated in other posts.....know one is interested in seasonals round here, i try and sell them every year but never get any bites. i think the initial slam of hearing thousands of dollars for a seasonal price in sept. or early oct. scares them off and these lean winters lately i can understand.
    dan

10. bison1973

bison1973 Member

probably done here too

Dyna, I'm in central WI and what you said sounds about the same here. Not much snow = no profit. I haven't made what my new plow and used salter cost. Disapointing for sure, my first year though. Hope next winter is better- we can't have 3 in a row like this can we?

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

I FEEL YOUR PAIN
    LAST YEAR WE HAD A TOTAL OF 4"OF SNOW

NO VACATION OR SUMMER CAMP FOR THE KIDS

THIS YEAR ITS SNOW IN MONEY
    ANOTHER STORM DUE ON THURSDAY

ITS EITHER FEAST OR FAMINE

CARDOCTOR

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Don't worry guys, it will come around. Maybe not this season, but these things seem to cycle. Last season here in the northeast, we plowed twice, this year it's been twice a week! I think all you guys Illinois and west got all the snow last year, this year was our turn.

13. myo

myo Senior Member

When your doing your seasonal contracts for residentials, How or what do you base you seasonal cost on? On the past winters, or average snowfall? I do per storm per push. Any advantage to seasonals? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

14. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok calm down.....

Does anyone remember the first seasonal forecast that NOAA put out in the early fall.

Well it was going to be an El Nino year. This ment that most of the country would see a mild winter with less snow, and less moisture.

Well some how a weather pattered called the NAO has developed, which has brought the extra snow to the eastern US. So while 80% of the US's weather has been controlled by El Nino, the Eastern seaboard has been getting hammered. I honestly believed that we wouldn't bee very busy with snow this winter, however we have been busy, buy not as busy as before.

So hold out another year, see what the weather patterns bring, because next year you may get it all, and my trucks may not turn a tire.

Geoff

15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I agree with Pelican, every thing comes in cycles, and while this winter has been pretty snowy, the past few have been mild. My dad tells me when he was a kid there was snow on the ground from November through March, this is back around late 60's early 70's.

16. unclepaul

unclepaul Junior Member

I went to seasonal this year with everyone . We estimated a 15 plow year. After 27 plows I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I guess I don't have to worry about selling seasonal plowing next year! :)

17. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

We need to figure out a way to vary the jet stream:D
    Maybe build some kind of gigantic rudder or something to steer the jet stream. That way we could make sure the snowfalls are all distributed equally.
    Then all we would have to do is find a trustworthy person to steer it:D
    Mark K

18. farmertim

farmertim Member

seasonal cost evaluation

the twenty year average for "OUR" area is 11 times per year of a plowable event.
    X your price per drive or what ever, but remember the seasonal price will be at a reduced rate than per push because you are taking the risk with your client that the snow fall totals could go either way each year.
    Last year I plowed 15 or 17 times this year once so far.
    So somewhere down the road I know I will have a 2 times per week year.
    But then again globle warming may change that.
    They say in 100 years our climate here in NW Wi will resemble Omaha's.
    I may not be plowing by then but the climate will change gradually.:waving:

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You buyin' into that? We're having one of the coldest winters in 60 years here this season. Consider this: Temperatures have been recorded for what, a few hundred years? How many millions of years has earth been in existence? So what percentage of earth's existence has data been drawn from, and how can that small amount be used to determine a trend?

20. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

global warming ? na i dont buy it either iam not saying your competly wrong Tim but i know we all have froze are butts off this year, has far as a normal year we havent really seen a normal year since 98 example 99-00 about 8 total pushes plus salt 00-01 dec we run 19 times in 29 days the trucks never left the yard jan feb march not even salt 01-02 about 9 plowable plus salt So maybe to help explain the seasonal thing iam sure it sells well out east but has many of the guys have said in this midwest area people are not so gun ho because i think even they belive they would be out money, i have 3 seasonals left from back in the early 90s that have stayed seasonal and then my condos are seasonal other than that its all per push. Like Tim had mention i can remember pre 98 running two times aweek all winter long those were the good ole days i really wish i knew what all the causes were cause honestly it the 'weather 'plays with your mind after awhile and has so many people have said on this thread were down to about a month and its all about down on two knees eyes closed and praying for a good march