1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

think I need new rear springs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Detroitdan, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Was planning on putting airbags in the rear of my 3500 this winter, since I now have the tailgate sander and load the bed up pretty heavy with mix occasionally. I only did it a few times last year and it handled it pretty well, but I like the idea of the airbags to help it carry the extra weight. However, lately I've been eyeballing the truck and it seems to be sitting a little low in the rear, I think the springs are giving up. I rarely load it, it only tows heavy a handfull of times a year and last year was the first year I was putting 2-3 tons of mix on, which wasn't on it for long. But it is getting old, too. Seems weird the springs would start sagging now when they haven't worked hard for a while, but maybe I just haven't noticed it all at once.

So, I'm wondering if I should skip the airbags and just put new springs in it, or should I try the airbags first and see if it picks it back up and carry the load. I'd rather do the bags now and try to get another year out of the springs, but I have a feeling you're going to tell me the springs must be replaced first. I'm thinking the bags go between the axle and the frame so in theory they should take some of the load off the springs, right?
  2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

that happened to me. The truck was sagging so I took a closer look and a few of the leaves were broken.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

swing low

they will drop just from the unloaded weight of the truck ,it's got some years on it depending how much it dropped and if no leaf's are broken you need a certain installed height to put air bag's on . stock springs would be sri # 22-797 if you want super springs for hauling a spreader and salt use sri #22-797hd these bad boy's are used on wrecker's and substantial truck's for dump body's and heavy equipment .payup
  4. Detroitdan

No broken leafs, I checked. Funny how it seemed fine even after freighting it down last winter, but then after being pretty empty all summer it seems to have sagged. I can't afford to do springs and bags, so it looks like I'll have to get some good springs. Dangit
  5. HHamilton

HHamilton Junior Member

go to a spring shop and see about helper springs for the rear. they only work when you load it, so will not stiffen up the ride when empty.
  6. Detroitdan

not a good idea with worn out springs. I've already got the factory add a leafs and factory overloads. It's always sat on the overloads since I got it. I don't want to just add more leafs to a weak pack, if you know what I mean.
  7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I would be taking the truck to a local spring shop for new HD packs. 3 tons of material is alot to haul so I would want some pretty beefy springs to hold the weight and last. It might be stiffer when empty but it's one of those deals.. You can't have both!
  8. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we've got the firestone bags on our old f-100, they'll lift the truck more then a foot at the bumper. i'd say go for the bags.