1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think I need a tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&E snowplowing, Aug 17, 2007.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

OK here it goes, I have a 94 GMC Suburban 4X4 with 350 engine and a 4 speed tranny, I have been plowing with this truck for 3 years now. When I am driving the truck it runs great and shifts nice, when it's HOT. When it's cold it bangs into gear,with a LOUD clunk coming from the front of the tranny, as soon as it warms up it stops banging and shifts nicely. When I'm on the highway the truck shakes violently between 50 and 70 mph (80 -110 kph) if I drive faster then 70 mph the truck smooths out and floats down the road.

I have rotated and balanced brand new tires...changed tranny and transfer case fluid... checked all U-joint (there fine)....checked motor mounts and tranny mounts (there fine).

Someone told me it sounds like I might need a tranny or new converter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Brian

2. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

Sounds sorta like what i had with my dodge in the way that it was rought from 55-75 and then 75 + it smoothed out and rode like a cadillac. I was told it was prolly the tourqe converter.... hope that helps.

3. B&E snowplowing

Exactly, after 75 it runs like a caddy, looks like i'm changing the converter. I really appreciate the response. Thanks for you input.

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

sounds like lock up clutch in the convetor . did the fluid smell brunt them it came out ?

5. B&E snowplowing

NO, Thats the problem, it dosen't smell burnt, and I lost no tranny fluid... I still think however the converter is shot.