1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think i need a lift kit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I am really really getting sick of getting stuck. just back dragging snow out of a drive the snow gets piled under my truck and it lifts my truck to the point my wheels cannot get a grip. im sick of it. drive over a little snow and my truck starts spinning on the pile of snow like a frisbee spinning on your finger.

tho not sure if i even can get a lift kit. might be able to lift a couple inches with new torsion bar keys but thats about it.

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I had some Timbrens installed in the front end of my truck. It really doesn't squat down now with the plow raised. Not a huge difference, but does help to back out of a pile without that stuck feeling. I hate that feeling.

3. birddseedd

mien is more than a feeling. i get stuck and if i move i spin on top of the pile. airbags are about the same cost as timbrins. i wanted some earlier in the season. think i might still get them if it solved the problem for you.

4. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

Just buy a dodge

5. birddseedd

<---------------- 04 dodge ram

i think when i can afford it ill get airbags for the front and lift the back a couple inches. iv already got blocks for the back

6. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

I have a 96 v10, its a tank I dont think its been lifted but with the knobby tires I have, the weight of the plow and salt in the back, I get pretty good traction. The more aggressive tire helped a lot with that this year

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

:popcorn:

:laughing:

Subscribing

8. birddseedd

do you think lifting it will help? 2 more inches means 2 inches of snow that would have to build up before lifting my truck. should at least make a difference?

9. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

How big are your piles?
    When I do drives I push out and to the side, then go in and backdrag out whats left doesnt leave a huge pile to drive through. The few times I have managed to drive myself into a large pile I havent had any problems with all that weight.
    Now if its the deciding factor so you can justify the cost to the wife...then I understand. Thats what I do too. lol
    If your high centering on your pumpkins you would need a suspension lift to gain anything and those can add up in price quick.
    Can you just fit larger tires with no lift?

10. birddseedd

havnt bought a full set of tires for the truck so havnt really had the opportunity to get bigger ones. but that might be a good investment for next year.

i usually back drag the drive way, and then push the snow from the street. but back dragging it pulls all of the snow into the street where you have to drive over it. its not usually a problem until we get a wet snow. then it packs and gives something to lift the truck.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just use a little more finess and not create such a big pile.

I've honestly never had any issues with the pile with a 4wd. My dually on the other hand is a different story.

12. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

gas or diesel??? if gas get ahold of the springs from a cummins powered truck

timbrens are a good choice too

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Maybe you need back drag half then stack that Then get the other half then stack that

14. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

learn how to plow or get a real truck

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

A lift kit wont increase you ground clerance for the axle. So that wont make any diffrence in the traction department if ur being picked up by the snow. Youd need bigger tires to do that. But Id say you need to look at a good set of tires first.And then the blance of weight from front to back.

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^^^This...

17. TLB

TLB Senior Member

and the correct tire for the job Thumbs Up

18. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

weight+grip>height+grip

In other words, grippy tires+weight=not stuck

19. birddseedd

what? is my truck made by tonka?

20. birddseedd

I think ill start doing that on larger snowfalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.