1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think i might know but i'm asking for some opinions...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kuzanut, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Yes i'm a newbie:jester: to the board but i have been plowing snow for 15 years starting on Craftsmen lawn tractors then moving up to an 87 Dodge 150, 94 Ram1500 both of which had meyers plows, and most recently a 2003 ram 1500 which i found a used (2-3 years old) 7'6" unimount pro plow off of a chevy, not sure what size. Due to the different ride heights of the trucks i had to adjust the plow from so it raised the plow.

My question is that with this plow i can't get it to scrape the driveways clean (there are no plow shoes). most times it leaves a layer of snow about 1/4" thick. The plow is used and aprox 2-3 years old. the cutting edge looks relativley good. To me it seems like the smaller 7'6" long and taller molboard would put more pressure on the edge. Why won't it scrape clean? I haven't changed how i plow, with the other truck i could get a clean scrape.

Any ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A-frame height has something to do with a blades scraping performance (or lack of).

Is yours parallel to the ground? If not, then thats where you want to start.

3. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

I followed the instruction booklet and measured the clearance on the front end and then used that number to determine the correct setting of the plow frame. I mean i looks level, i bet if i threw a tape to it it might be a 1/4 - 1/2 inch off. other then that it looks right...

4. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

If it's happening on flat ground, I'm not sure. If it's happening on incline and decline transitions maybe the lift chain need to be adjusted? I really doubt that's it since you said it's only a 1/4", but who knows.

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

try to get some pictures of the set-up posted. i think a visual aid in this case will help us help you.

6. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Heres a photo of the a-frame sorry its so dark the sun was going down when i took it and i couldn't get the flash to go off.

plow a frame.jpg

7. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

And the ice you see on the drive is a result of the blade not scraping clean.

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

do the x blades have the 3 adjustment holes in the ears of the A-frame like all the straight blades do? yours looks level but i'm wondering if you shouldn't try giving it a different pitch:confused: i know on the western we modified to fit our conventional fisher hitch we have it in the top hole and it works excellent with the A-frame slightly higher at the truck side than it is at the moldboard. when we had it in the middle hole to make it level it didn't scrape as nice. i'd hate for you to go threw the trial and error part of adjusting the angle but i can't think of anything else to tell you :( good luck :)

9. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Yeah that makes sense, raise the truck side of the A-frame and then the weight of the snow will be pushing the blade down. Its not to bad we already adjusted it once. I'm also looking into getting a set of timbrens for the front to stop the bolt guards on the angle cylinders from acting like wear plates. if you look at the pick you can see what i mean. A bunch of my driveways pitch up imediatly from the road.

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

That's an Ultramount, not unimount. Measure to the center of your pin (coupler) and go to the website and see what configuratiion your plow is suppose to be. Does Dodge have 17,18, or 20" tires?? If so, and it was set up for lower Chevy, your a-frame configuration may be off. The pins can vary from 12 to 20" IIRC.

11. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

My mistake i meant Ultra Mount. And i have already gone and meausred the height and adjusted the A-frame according to the Manuel i downloaded off Westerns Website.

12. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

glad someone was able to help you out :) let us know how you make out with it in the next storm. sorry i refered to it as an X-blade in one of my earlier reply posts. i was doing too much multi tasking at that point with different posts and kinda mixed up yours and another guys i was trying to help oopsie:eek: least i aint afraid to admit when i goof up lol.