1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

think i fixed it! (for real this time?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t.i.b, Jan 22, 2009.

1. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

hey folks
    i had had asked about a 02 2500 withed messed up gauges, then the problem seemed to fix itself... for a while. yesterday they went goofy again. today i took the dash apart and found what i hope was the problem. who ever put the plow on this truck ran the wires to the controler between the column and dash. the wires were chaffed there. taped up the green and the black w/ orange strip and seems fine now. any one know what those wires do and if they could effect all the gauges? gonna ask on the fisher page too.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you repaired it. This might be off topic but I have a 96 3500HD duallly and the guages were acting up. I put a ground strap from firewall to the negative side of the battery and it been good since

3. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

if this doesnt fix it for good ill try that. the first thing i found trying to figur this out was the ground strap from the block to the fire wall was loose. i cleand it up and tightened it but no luck. would one from the battery to the wall take its place?

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just a side note. The guage cluster's in chevys have been known to go bad at times. My mech has replaced my 98's before. Not to bad 200 or so to take out and repalce with a remaned.

5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

you know wher i can get a remaned cluster and what the part alone costs? looks like 4 bolts and 1 elec connection. i could handle that in the driveway to save some cash.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Theres a company here in mlps that remans them. I'll have to look back for mech invoice to get name of company and i'll post it here .

7. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

thanks. i'll keep an eye out for it.

8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I did the same in my 94 . it worked .

9. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

wrong again!

i geuss that the chaffed wires wernt the problem. the gauges are acting up again. im going to pick up a ground strap now and see what that does for me. man this is irritating.