1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Think I do this with a jeep and walk behind spreader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Ok seriously. This is a church right down the road from our shop. I know the guy that currently does it and is going to give it up. He does it with a 4 yard dump and 3 trucks!
    I was thinking like 1 or 2 big a** loaders with push boxes, at least 1 skidsteer, and 2-3 trucks. To give you an idea of the size, that big lot in the back is 350'x600'. What do you guys think this monster would require?

[​IMG]

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I would say 1 truck and 1 large tractor with a 14-18 ft pusher should be plenty, MAYBE a skid aswell but id have to see it. I think what you listed would be excessive.

3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Forgot to mention. The reason the guy is giving this account up is he complains that the Pastor is a PIA. The job is never done to his satisfaction, the snow is never cleared fast enough, blah blah, blah. And yes, I have taken that into consideration. This account pays hourly, so the way I look at it is if he wants perfection thats fine, but its gonna take TIME!

The thing that makes it tempting is this is less than a quarter mile from my shop, and would be our ONLY customer for plowing!! Oh yea, and something that is really amazing, the guy doing it now uses BAGGED salt for the whole thing! He never gave me a good answer why, but wow, what a PIA that has to be!!!

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Bagged salt, huh? Wow.... Big lot; I'd say you're right on with equipment. Are you gonna give up all your other accounts?

5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Yup, I could do that with two Jeep Cj's and a Jeep pickup, as well as a walk behind Scott' spreader for salting!

If need be I can bring in a loader for stacking if the piles get too big.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I would use 1 loader with a push box (somthing like a John Deere 544) and a 1 ton with a 9' or 10' plow and a 2 or 3 yard spreader.

7. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Whats wrong with "bagged salt"? Some people have to use it, unless you have a place to store bulk.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The priest probably requires some type of expensive salt product that you might not be able to get in bulk, or might not be able to get in bulk in your specific area......In terms of a church........................man, they say we have big beautiful churches around here. Let me tell you, I dont know of one church in this area that is 1/8 the size of that church. That place is monstrous, not to mention air conditioned as well. Looks like a very easy lot to plow altough if priest is a pain, I dont assume he likes the thought of loosing parking spaces of his valued parishoners to snow piles. Get some more info. If this is your ONLY plow account......do you know enough about plowing to handle an account of this magnitude. I am sure this place only needed to be done on Sundays is out too. I wouldnt be surprised if they utilize that place 5 days a week. Dont think your off the hook that easily.

9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

2 trucks and a skid with a box would do just fine.

10. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

id say to have 2 medium duty trucks (450-550) with 10' blades and spreaders, a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with 9 ft. V to clean parking spaces and smaller areas, and a skid steer or toolcat with a pusher box to stack and plow lot, and a 48" blade or snowblower to clean walks then a walk behind spreader to salt them or a spreader in the back of the toolcat if you went that route..

11. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

As far as the bag salt, the guy just has always used it, there was no requirement from the church that he did. Yes, the building is used almost every day of the week, so this isn't just a plow on Saturday account. He is plowing it this year, but said he's had it with the pastor and is walking away after this year so I have my eye on it for next year.
    As far as having knowledge of plowing this large of an account, I will say it would be by far the largest account I have ever dealt with. Now with that said, if I put all my current accounts together, the square footage and salt usage would be pretty close to this size. So am I 100% confident I know exactly what this lot requires? The answer is no, that is why I asked for input from the knowledgeable and experienced veterans here. Do I know enough to ensure I have adequate equipment, salt, manpower and have a back up plan if personnel don't show up or a piece of equipment breaks down? Yes. Do I know how to calculate a price to ensure my expenses are covered and I can turn a healthy profit? Yes.

And as for whether I will drop my other accounts if I got this one, THAT is the question. Do I remain the same size and plow one customer, or do I buy the extra equipment and salt, and hire the additional people required to do this lot? I think this may be a good opportunity to expand. But first, let me see if I can even get it!!!! Thanks for the input boys!

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

dont put all your eggs in one basket . if you can keep your other accounts thats probaly better
    if the pastor is a pita you may want to get out after one yr.
    i use to do 2 churchs. one the priest was a lunatic after 2 yrs i fired him .
    the funny thing is he use to break my balls about steps but after we stopped doing it they bought their own truck plow etc and never do the steps they just caution tape them off

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You bet, nothing like the voice of non-experience talking.

IPS, that's way too much equipment, IMO. Unless they have church everyday and every square inch needs to be cleared by 7 AM, you have some leeway except for Saturdays, Sundays and holidays to get the entire lot plowed.

A loader with a 16' pusher and a truck will knock that out in no time in an average snow.

14. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

1 big loader w/ a box blade, a truck and skidder to work in conjunction w/ the loader. Obviously, your loader is the main piece on this site and your skidder and truck are working in conjunction tot that. The only real reason you'll need the truck too is to do the salt.
    As for if you should fire your other accts to service this one? Are U crazy? No way would I depend on one acct. Way too much risk on keeping one acct. If they ever find out they're your only customer they will leverage that fact and try to chew you down on price knowing it will be hard for u to replace them.

15. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

I plow for a church- Where I work full time and I wish I only had to plow that lot (no streets and sidewalks :mad:) and not what I have. Wish I could figure out how to post a google earth pic of our downtown campus.

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the 2 side lot's could be knocked out in 1 1/2 - 2 hours by one truck. the big lot will only be a problem in larger storms. ( windrows would get to high )
    if you need to get the lot done quickly then throw a loader on it. if not , put 2 trucks on it and tell them to call you in the morning when they are done.

that lot should be done in under 6 hours in average snow storms.