1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Things you hit/broke/removed from lots you plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Outd00r Maint.., Jan 22, 2010.

1. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

I always go to this Tim Hortons to get coffees and talk with friends, this year the owner added bunch of those asphalt "speed bumps" anyway the first or second big storm we had the company scrapped them all of ...lol ..i was saying to myself the guys are idiots to do that..i hope they didnt use a snow blower to load the dump trucks when they removed the snow..

any of you did anything like this?
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

big shopping center i used to plow when i worked for someone else, every year they put speedbumps in and every winter i plowed them up. its really easy to do as they are not really anchored to the ground, after being hit by the plow a few times they would come right up and get pushed into the pile
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i wonder what they do different up here, i hit the stupid things with my loader sometimes, speed bump always wins
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I've dislogged a few cement parking blocks..and bent the frame on a half ton from hitting a cement wall in reverse.
  5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

maybe they are put in when they did the paking lot so they are one with the lot, these were put in after the fact and all they did was just dump some asphalt down, form it and put some tar around the edges.
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

One of my subs ripped out a 10k rubber expansion joint on a parking garage...thank God for duct tape!! :eek:
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Whacked a couple of those stupid concrete parking blocks, not broken just moved. Gotta put em back in the spring.

Speaking of which, those things are bloody stupid... pour your sidewalk an extra foot wider you cheap bastards!!! Then we don't have to shovel around and plow around those ugly stupid tripping hazards!!! Grrrrr! :realmad:
  8. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

9. derekbroerse

Ouch.... glad that wasn't me!

Guess if you're gonna hit something, may as well do it right!! :laughing:
  10. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

This year the second storm I hit a handicap sign with the skidsteer. Cut it off at the ground. No more need to clean around that ******* sign!:laughing:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  11. derekbroerse

That's another beef I have this year... one property they put up a handicap sign post right where we stack the snow (used to push into the handicap space, then turn 90* and push onto the grass beside the building). Wasn't good enough to just have a 4'x4' painted blue and white wheelchair symbol on the ground?

Another property didn't have a handicap spot. New tenant moved in and raised hell about it. Busybody type, dog groomer. Guess maybe some old handicapped people bring dogs to her? So they put one in, right in front of her unit, just to shut her up. Guess what, that end spot is where we used to stack the snow! Very limited stacking room in this plaza and was cut down by about 25% more because of this. :realmad:
  12. craigd

craigd Member

At a company I used to work for we had a guy who plowed 6 or 8 cement parking blocks into a big pile of snow behind the building. I can't imagine what that must have felt/sounded like while it was happening. When we showed up to put them back they were sticking up out of the pile like toothpics. I guess he wanted to make a nice clean pass next to the building...and no, they weren't pinned down. He was an old guy, and needless to say he didn't do very much plowing after that.
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My brother in law did that on a lot that we plow. It was our first time plowing the lot. He did the front and I did the back. When we got done, I asked him if he remembered that there was parking blocks along the side of the building. He gave me a funny look. needless to say every one of them ended up in a 6' pile of snow. Was not fun digging them out.
  14. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

One of my guys backed into a tractor trailer box parked at Walmart. Put the backhoe through the side of trailer.
    Another guy backed my truck into a 20' tall sign and laid it out in the highway. Cost $5500. to get it fixed.
    I cant think of anything glamorous that I have hit at the moment , except for the usual light pole, bollards, and dumpsters .
  15. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I had a guy actually knock a light pole right over. Was one that didn't have a concrete base obviously. And wow those are not cheap!
  16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

destroyed a porta poty after about 28 hrs of plowing last year, cost me 2 g's. also mover a roll off contaner over a foot and that one blew a plow hose.( not in my truck though)

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Lots of bumper blocks pushed away , a couple of shopping carts are in the snow banks.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

damn... thats nuts.

Our guys pushed 4 of the handi curb stoppers and left them in the grass lol. on a 500+ car spot lot, 4 of the darned things out of 60 handicapped spots, they deserved it !
  19. clark lawn

from NE ohio

no the 4'x4' sign on the ground is not good enough the signs have to be posted due to ADA law.
  20. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

I can remember a few times i ran over old ladies and their shopping carts. I usually honk my horn first after that if they dont move, to the pile they go!:laughing: