1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Things you do to get guys to remember to shovel walk

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gottaluvplows, Jan 24, 2010.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

I dont know what i can do to get guys to remember to shovel walk way...another guy has orange flags then puts a green flag to remind his guys to shovel walks seems Smart
    what do you guys do besides put it on the list of theirs???
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them their paycheck is under the snow somewhere on the sidewalk and they will have to shovel to find them.
  3. gottaluvplows

Thats a good one!
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Get new guy's... if they are doing snow removal for a living then wouldn't you expect them to remeber to remove the snow? Especially if it is on their list..
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Can't you just tell your transformer truck to transform into a shoveler and do it?
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't have enough sidewalks yourself, network with a couple of other companies in your area, and hire a guy to just do sidewalks.

That's what I did, works great.

The only issue that we have is when the lot gets plowed before the sidewalk is done and the sidewalk guy has to blow the snow onto the parking lot, we send a plow back to clean it up quick, which works fine since we run Vplows.
  7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That is good... knew I guy once who talked about taping a $20 bill around a large weed in a landscape bed to see how long it would stay there.
  8. gottaluvplows

Yeah that feature cost more so i didnt get it! LOL i wish it did though i hate getting outta my warm truck!
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

usually when shovelers dont shovel they dont get paid...
  10. procut

procut Senior Member

I would have to say they don't honestly forget, it's more of a accidentilly on purpose forgot becuse they don't want to do them.

Walks aren't shovelled = No $$$
  12. gottaluvplows

So what you guys are saying is all you do is put it on the list?? No other reminders or anything?
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't unemployment pretty high over there? (I'm not being a dink guys)

If they can't remember to shovel the walk, even after you put it on the list, fire them.
  14. gottaluvplows

Yeah you're right! Im sure someone else would love to have this job!
  15. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Our service logs that the guys log their time and material into has a description of what needs done (lot & walks, etc...).
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if they can't read or follow their list then find someone who can.
  17. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

its on the list you dont take care of the list we dont take care of the check.
  18. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

Nothing, it's common sense to do the walkways when doing an account. If my shoveler doesn't do a walkway:gunsfiring: cause it's my ass that gets chewed!! My boss rarely has to say anything, if someone consistantly isn't doing walkways/in front of garage they will probably be looking for a new jobprsport
  19. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

ya, hydros got the right answer, plus you get paid more, cuz your their longer
  20. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Put it on their list. No shovel... No Pay, its simple.