Snow Plowing Forum banner

Things to look for...

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  HD61CUIN 
#1 ·
I am considering a purchase of an 86 F250 4x4. It has a western plow on the front. Virtually everything on the vehicle has been replaced. Exhaust,manifolds,tranny,lifters,alternator,starter...ect. The only thing I can find wrong is a gas leak located at the front of the tank or actually it is dripping near the front of the skid plate. It may need shocks as they look a little greasy. The vehicle has been repainted and shows little signs of rust on the body. The bench seat inside may need replacing, it has a cover on it right now. Are there things I should look into a little closer? Like specifics?

#2 ·
There are alot of things to look for first the gas tank needs to be replaced if it is leaking it is gone figure a couple of hundred for that depending on if you do it or more if you have it done. When was it painted I would climb underit and look closely at the floor boards on the cab also how are the cab mounts they will most likley need replacing as well. Wheel bearings, U Joints, change all the fluids in the front and rear differentials. I use a Fisher plow on my ford so I am not up on western plow set ups. Best bet find a garage that you trust and have them go over it they will let you know if it is good or not. How much do they want for it?

#3 ·
It has a new trans with less than 500, documentation on all work. Waterpump, cam, lifters, rollers. Exhaust, 351 V8, Timing chain. The underside was undercoated(some time ago) new sheetmetal, rear quarterpanels interior is immaculate, the floorboard is new the entire bed is new. The frame shows rust obviously. Warn hubs,paint is good...no scratches the paint is new, painted by the owner using pro spray gun. Door seals replaced, exhaust manifold. Passed emissions recently(would have to visit for a current test run)

#5 ·
Im not saying its junk,but look at all the new parts its had thrown at it,it sounds like its been a money pit,and the owner is trying to cut his losses at this point.It surely must have been a less than reliable truck,recently to have had all that stuff replaced,Id be a little concerned,just dont pay a lot for it,since you to may be throwing a lot of parts at it,and it may be down more than its running,it may be a great truck too,if you buy it,I hope it serves you well,

#6 ·
Kellys blue book lists that truck as a trade in with the plow at $1625.00 I would not be going higher then that if I was going to be buying it. The truck may serve you fine or it may not I guess the bottom line is what are you going to ask it to do and then go from there. The point is that it is your money so spend it wisely

#7 ·
That is the same type of things that I have been thinking of. The topper was for me getting parts for it. As in plow parts, I visited my western dealer and described the plow. His responses were not to good on the parts end. I also came to the same decisions, I luckilly invest a good amount of time performing research before a buy. Thank god that I do that and do not buy on impulse.

Thanks all who responded

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.