1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Things to look for in a used Vbox

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by beanz27, Nov 29, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I'm fairly new to sanding/salting, I've done it before, know the basics etc, but I've always subbed my sanding out, since I didn't have a place to put a pile, and I'm sure as hell not doing bags for the lots I do, I'd break my back.

So now I've secured a place to put a pile, have a supplier etc etc. I'm looking at gas powered chain V box spreaders. Figure I got the big accounts, have a nice flatbed dually that can handle it, so why go small when I'll regret it, right?

Obvious things come to mind such as the chain, bearings, and engine. Any other things to look out for? I'll be running 75% sand, 25% salt mix in these. Brand isn't an issue, the only two things I know for sure is I WILL NOT do an auger, as I'm not having it jam on me with small chunks of sand, and I WILL NOT do electric, as they just seem weak to me compared to gas.

What kind of capacity we talking for yards in a V box on a one ton? I'm thinking something like a 1.5-2 yard spreader? That sound right? I've run a Buyers brand Vbox a few times, stainless steel, drag chain, gas engine, but I haven't run anything else. I never had issues with them the few times I ran it, but are they fairly decent?

Seems meyers, and buyers seems to be hit or miss with guys on here, more so then other brands. Thanks for any answers or insight you guys might have for me!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Weak electric, no augers,,,,man what vboxs have you been around?

Electric, and auger imo are way better then a gas chain. And yes I can speak from experience.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I totally agree. Beanz27 I don't mean to accuse you guys of being ill-informed but I would completely disagree with your statements. Maybe you should relook at the electric, they have come a long way.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Ill jump in . Spent most of the day screwing with my gas spreader.Droped off the carb to be rebuilt. Still not running right. Getting ready to shoot the @#@2 thing. My Electric one. Just put it in the truck the other day runs fine . No gas, no oil .no spending the day screwing with it. Have fun Ill never buy another gas spreader .

5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I run all Electric with drag chains no auger...

I ran gas for years, hated it..

If i was to set up another it would be a swenson hydro..

Current spreaders:

Boss VBX: Love it
    Swenson poly hawk: Beast, well built, worth the price
    Western Tornado: Hate how big it is and holds the same amount of salt, seems powerful

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

also run many augered saltdoggs . good reverse feature when jambed . bearings get greased after every use or replaced if sloppy

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok another reason I've decided against electric is I don't want the drain. Another engine to maintain isn't a huge expense, and I like being able to adjust the rpm's. Already set on conveyor gas guys, what to watch out for?

8. dieselss

Electrical drain, where you getting your "facts"

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Never ran one. But an electric motor draws amps to run does it not?

10. dieselss

Yes it does, but your driving around while salting so the draw is minimal. Less then your plow

11. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

get the gas one and conveyor it will be your best bet since that's what you want to hear.

12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

^^^basically what he said....I mean really thats what you want to hear even thought everyone is going to electric myself included. I have 4 all electric ones and have been very happy running straight treated salt through them. I'm another one in the group that will never ever go back to gas! What a pain in the ass they were.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

My issue is the sand pile sits outside, sometimes there is chunks, the grate helps but sometimes there is smaller chunks. Now out of 15 companies in town, none have electric that I know of.

Gotta be a reason. A few tailgate Sanders for a few guys using salt but guys use sand here, too cold for straight salt. Average temp is 0. So sand. I'll look into electric if that will make you happy, but electric motors are a pain, I can't rebuild them, I can rebuild a gas engine.

What size electric motor you guys think then?

14. quigleysiding

I have an airflo. We use sand and salt mix . It has a drag chain . Two motors one for the spinner one for the drag chain. You can control each one separately,

When I first bought it used I was worried about all the same things you are . First truck I put it in. I added another battery. Two years ago I put it in the dump with one battery . Never had a problem. Its not like you run the thing all the time. It doesnt have as much power as my Meyers gas but it works fine. Both will freeze if you leave the mix in for too long. I just spit the **** out as quick as possible. Theres nothing worse than hitting the starter botton at three in the morning and nothing happens. Then you lift the cover and the motor looks like a block of ice. There just too many moving parts on the gas ones Clutch, Throttle controller, battery, Carburetor,Oil, Gas, Filter.You get the pic.

Now I have to get out to the garage and see if I can figure out why my Myers gas spreader isnt running right. :laughing:Have Fun

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The only real benefit I see to electric in all honesty is maintenance, and as much as some guys don't understand it, I like doing maintenance on my equipment, or I have something else to have my guys do, keep them busy. I'll look into electric, but I'm convinced there is a reason that every contractor in town here that sands uses a gas spreader.

I'll look into the electric models, but how many horse are these electric motors on these spreaders you guys are running? I would like to not deal with a cold gas motor starting, or using ether if I don't need to, but realistically it gets parked in a heated shop, so starting cold isn't much of an issue.

Excuse me if I sound ignorant to you guys, just want to get what will work here, for my circumstances. So please, if I'm so wrong, educate me.

16. dieselss

Why don't you ask the other guys why there not running electrics?
    I like working on motors to, but NOT at 3am in freezing temperatures.
    We are educating you but YOUR not listening. You have NO experience using electric but yet your dead set on not using it. Any spreader might clog, there's almost no thing you can do about that

17. quigleysiding

I hate working on motors. :angry: Got mine running great today. :nod:Missed most of the game though. :cry:

Don't worry no matter what you buy used, will need to be tinkered with .:mechanic:

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats why I don't want electric, I can tinker with gas engines myself and feel confindent I wont screw with them at 3 am. But electric I cannot. If I were buying new I wouldn't have much of an issue with electric, but used.....different story.

DieselSS, I am listening. I'm just debating it, and the pro's from what I've seen anyway, are in gas spreader. That being said, I planned on asking why we don't run electric spreaders up here, maybe it's just ignorance, maybe there is a reason. And as far as clogging, I know all spreaders can clog, just seems to me that a more powerful gas would break chunks that would clog electric.

Now I've asked this question and had no response, so I'll ask again:

How big of an electric motor is on your guy's electric spreaders?

19. dieselss

Answer....No clue. I think if I'm guessing, anywhere from 1/3____1/2____1hp. But they have 2. One auger and one spinner. And they are gear reduction so it's really hard to say what a 1/3 hp motor with a 5:1 gear reduction produces.
    Your pros in gas spreaders are also biased on the fact that you haven't seen or operated any electric.

20. quigleysiding

This is the one I have http://air-flo.com/product.cfm?id=93792B45-C916-EEDA-D74BCFC1BE88E859 Its the stainless one on the top . It has stainless chains and a couple of sprockets under that cover on the side. All the chains are stainless except the drag chain. It has plenty of power.

My gas one differently has more power. But it still jams up if you let the material freeze. It will just start burning the belt. Half the time you wont even know until its to late . At least the electric one has a jam light that goes on so you know its not working and it doesn't break anything.