1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Things to keep an eye on.....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JeffNY, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Ive noticed over time my boss has been getting more and more wobbly. Finally towards the end of the 'monster storm' the other day, it was wobbly enough for me to take another look at it.
    That like, 7" x 1" horizontal pin that holds the plow to the A frame was half way out. Which apparently put extra stress on the vertical hinge pin, and caused the tack welded nut to break off that holds that down, which made the hinge pin come up about 4". Then I noticed the cotter pin that holds the bottom of the lift cylinder was gone.

Bought an 'upgraded' horizontal pin from boss, it has an actual nut on the end instead of a stupid cotter pin.

Im just sayin, check your pins.

2. GA73

GA73 Member

just wait until that one snaps off at the threads. i used the old style and put some tack welds on the edges

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the old style pin but instead of retaining with a cotter pin, slip a washer over the end and weld it in place thus mimicking the other side. The best method to date.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Just noticed the horizontal pin was coming out on our other boss as well, I replaced mine with the new style pin, and on the other, we pounded it back in and welded it. We'll see how long each holds up.