1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Things that drive me crazy!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mainiac, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I came home late last night to find my neighbor directly across the street plowed out of his driveway and right next to my entrance. I normally wouldn't care, but the guy doesn't know how to plow! He left a big pile right in the road for traffic to spread all over that lane. I had to get in my cold ford and clean up his mess. We both have 2 driveways and just offset. I know it is illegal to plow across the street, but every do it yourselfer around here thinks it is the only way to keep their yard clean.
    I'd talk to him about it, but he is very strange and won't let anyone approach him. What would you guys do, this has happened several times before too.
  2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Push it back to his side - make it obvious. Avoid the tempation to bury him in.
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

"Push it back to his side - make it obvious. Avoid the tempation to bury him in."

I tried that once. It turned real ugly real fast. It ended up with me pushing the damm pile up to his front door, next thing the cops got called it wasnt preaty....Rob

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Sorry to get a laugh at your misfortune Rob, But I did. Thanks I would have loved to see the look on that guys face when he looked out his front door.
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Can you elaborate on how he "wont let anyone approach him"? :confused:

I would try a few ways of communicating my concern in person, first would be to ring his door bell or if I happened to see him outside. Second would be to approach him if/when you see him out plowing and third would be to call him on the phone. Just tell him nicely that you don't want the snow in the vicinity of your drive for whatever reason, visibility, safety, etc. Iam sure he will understand. Hell, send him a friendly letter if you can't talk to him personally, anything to get the point across. If none of that worked, I would be tempeted to push snow back and pile on his property or even worse; bury him, but the next option really is to talk to the police if he is disagreeable or unapproachable and continues to plow in that way. Leaving a mess in the street is enough for the town to act on it if you can't nicely express your concern and have him listen and change his ways of plowing.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  6. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

He's an angry person, mad at the world or something. He has a competitive attitude towards me and my wife. We are both very professional and make really good money. He has told neighbors hinting to the fact that "those young brats have to many toys". I've got a newer sleds, a really sweet Heritage Softail, all the lawn mowing equipment a business needs, so he tries to compete with it.
    last year my wife and I alone excavated and built another driveway on my second lot for a new garage. After I got it all finished he decide to out this nasty ugly shed thing right at the end of a second driveway he butched together. I know this as I have another intelligent neutral neighboe that tells me these things. Sounds like I'm a braggert, but I'm just getting the point across here.
    There was a neighborhood get togethera couple years ago and we grudgingly went, the wife and I, that is. His wife asked what I did for a business and I told her that I'm in Property MAnagment and Services. She mentioned hiring me for some painting where she works and he freaked! Made an ass of himself in front of a bunch of people.
    I won't approach as I have a very bad temper if I'm provoked, otherwise I am very professional to people that are kind and sensible.
    Sorry for the rambling, man.
  7. fans

fans Junior Member

It's simple

You obviously can't talk to the guy - it sounds like he's mental or just jealous. Next time, don't clean up his mess - call the police to have them deal with it. That's what they're there for. If he has broken the law then let them handle it.

I was trying to clean my street and got a warning from the cops in my area, never again, I'll get myself out and they can deal with the rest.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Why waste time with this obviously irrational neighbor? Do what I do Call the city DPW and report him, call the Police and report him, and call any or all of the town selectmen and report him.

You'd be amazed how much snow a city truck can selectivly leave at the end of someon'e driveway...
  9. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for. Start getting the authorities involved and he may turn around and site you for operating a business out of your home...and perhaps your area is zoned residential. Next thing you know you are up craps creek. obviously this might not be your case...but stranger things have happened.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Very true- but reporting his plowing won't be so plain that someone turned him in- the city supervisors drive the streets all the time during a storm as do the city plows- any of them could have reported it (and should have).

I report all of those guys that I cross on my route- usually the pros here not the home plows.

I run my powing as a Schedule C with no place of business so I am not running a business out of my home as such- easy to do if it is a seasonal thing only as it is with me.
  11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Have the police notify him. He will listen.
  12. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Yeah, I'm pretty patient. If he keeps doing it, I'll try to catch him in the act and ask him nicely to refrain from it. If it doesn't work I'll talk to the town, I have a few contacts down there as I perform duties for them in the Summer. I live in one of those sleepy little towns were we have a useless constable that doesn't have the balls to stir the pot. He's also the town's animal control, maybe that's why the animals are always out if contro and roaming the streets.
    Have a Happy New Year everybody!
  13. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Sorry to hear that... I had a neighbor like that. Complete idiot. Almost came to blows a couple of times. Luckily my wife and I sold our house and moved. I had to play a few games before I moved though... I'll never grow out of some things. I just don't understand some people. Why be miserable like that? You have to live next to each other, quit being such a moron. I think they get off on it. Thinking they're tough or something. Reality checks hurt sometimes.