1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

things i still need before the season

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScubaSteve728, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

ive been looking for an 8 foot fisher mm2 plow in Rhode Island and i need it installed because i do not have any mounts or wiring if you have the plow or mounts and you are close pm me
    backup lights. i may buy the backup buddy. and i also want to put some work lights on my back rack id love to know which ones you use and recommend.
    a strobe light for the back rack
    driveway stakes
    fluid film
    snow blower serviced
    weight box to hold weight and weight to put in it
    and i need some clients ha

this will be my first year using my truck and any other advice or things i should buy or help will be greatly appreciated just don't be negatie

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Well, not trying to be negative here, but you may be a bit late to the party by now. You pretty much just said you have what every other guy has that owns a truck. That is, a truck. You need everything, including clients. Maybe buy a plow and try to hook up with a company as a sub. Don't worry about backup lights and weight box. Just grab a few bags of sand from home depot and buy a usedplow and make money. Everything else can come later.

3. ScubaSteve728

Therea still plows around here for sale and id love to sub and i know people i could easily work for but i already do 5 driveways and im just 17 years old so im just looking for some spending money and plowing is mainly a hobby

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

You have your own clients and consider it a hobby?

5. ScubaSteve728

I have neoghbors and people in my town i plow with my quad and i do it because i enjoy it

6. SullivanSeptic

Was gonna make same comment

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

My advise, although may be considered negative, is stick with the quad. You are not ready to move up to plowing with a truck yet. And its to late to get what you need. Including clients.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. ScubaSteve728

I am ready to move up ive been ready ha im tored of using the quad and i have been talking to other clients and im looking to have around 10-15 this season. Im just a kid afterall

9. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

One of the most important things you need that you didn't mention is insurance. Also a back up plan. Who will service your clients when you are in school, or when you have a breakdown. Just a lot of things you need to think about before expanding.

10. SullivanSeptic

10-15 clients? So they dont have anyone lined up yet? Unless they sign a contract with you, would hold very little faith in them.

11. ScubaSteve728

Im not making up a contract i talked to them theyasked for my services i give them service ring bell when done get money and move on. Im still in school anyways. Im not your trypical 17 year old either ive driven big trucks all my life working construction in the summers with my uncles amd running skid steers and excavators.

12. SullivanSeptic

I hear ya. I was same way. Worked heavy construction and equipment every summer from when i was 14. I think we are all just saying to have a better plan then some possible job leads, before you dump money into a plow.

13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

So what we have is:

Kid with truck
    Atv
    Snow Blower
    Still no plow 3 weeks before the season
    No insurance
    All clients secured by a handshake

14. ScubaSteve728

Ive got people ive been plowing since 08 never had problems

15. ScubaSteve728

So who cares im just a kid im not an idiot looking into snow plow insurance if i really need it and i can get a plow tomorro if i wamted too jist looking for a good one a good deal

16. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Even though he says he's not a typical teenager, he is. Comes on here ask for advice but he already knows more than we do. Scuba Steve, good luck to you sir.

17. ScubaSteve728

Thanks for the help and great advice master plow king

18. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I think this kid is getting a bad rap, give him a chance! We all started somewhere and somehow, this young man came on the site to get advice from people he respects, professionals in the snow business.

I would look into the white night systems on Ebay, very bright and easy to install.

As far as weight goes, sand bags are easy or you could build a wooden box to sit behind the wheel wells. You should have at least a 2x4 behind wells to hold the bags in place.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We'll he's getting a bad rap because he's informing the snow professionals on this board how he's going to go and show us how it's done and what he's got going for himself. Which seems like a lot of things minus the ability to complete the job given his current equipment. He doesn't really want to listen to anything posted on here, he's set in his ways and that makes us wrong trying to throw reality into the picture. We all started somewhere, but there is a lot of ways to start and I don't think this is one of the better ways.

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you don't own anything of real value, and are still technically a CHILD, the insurance issue may not be as significant as a pro. Basically, if you eff up and get sued by your customer, and lose, the worst that can happen is you lose everything you own (i.e., registered, cars, snowmobiles, house). If OP doesn't own anything (which would be typical of a teenager), then OP doesn't stand to lose much.

Once 18 though, you have to start considering the cost of an unpaid judgement, i.e., in terms of CREDIT WORTHINESS, etc.

MY SUGGESTION FOR OP:
    5 clients = shovel.
    10-15 = 4-wheeler or snowblower.

You don't need a truck plow. I would consider that a frivolty/toy given your intended use.