1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thieves.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crazyboy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

[​IMG]

Not really, time for some new brake lines. While it's off I am going to do fuel lines, pump, and undercoat it. Quite the undertaking!

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

All In a days work with a lift. Its tough working on the ground. Make sure there is no rust anywhere if you use undercoat. Put that over rust it will be worse.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

And that is exactly why I won't undercoat! I would rather have no paint on it at all and keep it hosed off. If there's no paint or under coat to trap the moisture against the metal all you get is some surface rust. Sure it may not look the best but it won't rot through.

4. brad96z28

Amazing the amount of people ive seen put undercoat over rust :dizzy: When i get any rusty spots I just use rust doctor That stuff is great.

5. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Would be much easier on a lift for sure, not too bad on the ground though. I'm planning on hitting the frame with a flapper wheel and then hitting it with the undercoat. With the salt air and driving on the beach here, metal doesn't last long unprotected.

6. mcwlandscaping

Could you give me some more details on that product? Sounds like something I would be interested in trying...gotta love the northeast!

7. brad96z28

Just make sure there is no rust, There are places you wont be able to grind with a wheel in those places I would use rustoleum rust converter before I put paint or undercoat over it.

8. brad96z28

Its expensive but works great on anything rusty. Here is a link. I use it on all the rusty plows I get. http://therustdoctor.com/

9. mcwlandscaping

Wow you're not kidding! However, if it really works as well as it claims, then that is a small price to pay compared to consistently sanding a painting the same spots time and time again! Thank you for the information!!

10. bans25

bans25 Junior Member

My 03 will look like that soon.. I need new lines.. heavy rust. Did you buy kits or bend your own?

I also need to do some work to my rockers.. starting to bubble a bit..

11. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Prebent stainless lines from inlinetube.com Also upgraded to stainless braided flex lines.

12. bans25

bans25 Junior Member

Did they fit well? how were the front lines up under the drivers side of the cab? did you have to lift the cab?

13. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes they fit pretty well. Didn't lift the cab at all. Just some finagling of the lines and they came out and went in. The toughest one is the passenger side front line. The new lines are pretty tough, so just take your time and don't rush and it should go fine.

14. brad96z28

It only takes me 4 hours to do every brake line on the truck making them by hand with nickel copper lines at the cost of about 70 bucks.

15. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

With a lift and knowing what you're doing ;)

16. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Had my rockers done twice in 14 months and by a body shop. Looks worse now. I just went to a good shop to replace and they quoted me 2200 for both rockers inner and outer done the correct way. Anyone else have theirs done? Im in Mass

17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Go to LMC trucks. Com and do it your self it's not that hard some body glue and riveting your good