1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

They really nailed the weather report this time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Mar 12, 2005.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well, NOAA is forecasting 4-8" today with a total of 6-12" by tomorrow morning. Right now it is raining and way above freezing. Guess we'll just have to wait it out. Deep down I think I'm really ready for the green stuff on trees.

2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I think that the weather guys should just say there is a storm coming, our guess is as good as yours, look out the window.

3. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

rain

Heavy rain her'e in abington,it's been raining all morning! I think the pennies from heaven may be over! That's ok, it's time to start lawn fertilizing anyway!

4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Snowing here, temp is right at 32 and holding steady. It has been snowing since 8:30 last night. Calling for 12-20 inches when it's all over and done with :drinkup: payup :nod: :D

5. PLANET

PLANET Member

330am no snow, 700am 8 inches, predicted 2-3 talk later :waving:

6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Big flakes and at 32 degrees starting to stick to the pavement here in Attleboro MA

Roy

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here, big wet flakes. Expecting 3-5 inches with precip not ending until late tonight. I have yet to put the plows on, I should do that soon but Ill wait until we get an inch or two on the ground (maybe late afternoon) to do that.

8. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Watched the local news at 10pm last night and they said 4 to inches with the snow starting at 1 to 2 am. Woke up at 6am to a light mist / drizzle. It just changed over to snow at around 10am and it's not sticking to the roads very well. Checked the radar and it's should be done snowing on the south coast of RI in an hour or so. BUSTED...!

9. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I no longer put the plow on ahead of a storm.

I'd rather wade thru 3-4" to put it on in a blizzard then let those lizards disappoint me again! purplebou

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:realmad:

Starting prediction was 24". Dropped to 14", then 10". Today it was down to 6". Got 4" and expect maybe one more tonight.

All residentials and won't even be plowing most of them.

11. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Got 10 here calling for another 2-4 on top of that tonight, still uner a Winter Storm Watch too. I just heard they are calling for more Tuesday, dunno the amounts yet.

12. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

We weren't expecting any and I awoke to 3 inches on the ground at 4:00 am
    I was in shock as I looked out the window and rushed to get started, route took 5 hours and by the time I was done most of it had melted. :waving:

Jason

13. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

Predicted 2-4, then 3-5, then back to 1-3, with all snow ending by noon yesterday (sat.). Well, I just got home after 14 hours and there is a good 12" on the ground here, heavy wet stuff, perfect for a snowman or a snowball!!! SHow me the money!

Crodog

14. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

EXACTLY! I was waiting for the 2-3" and for the snow to stop so I can go out after the storm passed....well, I "slept" for another few hours, I wake up and DAMN, where did all the snow come from??!!
    It was a steady, not heavy, quickly accumulating snowfall. My trigger is usually about 3-4", and every 3-4" after that when expecting a big storm. But this one caught me by surprise, and by the time I was out there, there was a good 7-8"!
    But whos complaining? :D :drinkup: payup

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You think your areas forecasts are off kilter, you should see North East Ohio.
    We have "Lake Effect Snow" off the Great Lakes and they have not a clue how much will fall! The weather guessers give us the less then an inch forecast and we get 4 inches! Next time it's major snow and we get a dusting.
    I don't put the plow on till it's ankle deep anymore!

16. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Stone weather forcasts

The local weather for casters have missed it like Micki says. The first clipper was supposed to be the "major clipper" and drop the most snow. We got under 2 inches. The second clipper "minor clipper" was supposed to drop less than an inch and we got 4 - 6 inches. We were happy to have the snow. Got a complete plow and salt. Not bad for March.

Now we the stone weather reporting.
    If stone is covered by less than 2 inches we salt
    If stone is covered by more than 2 inch we plow and salt
    If stone is warm ride Harley Davidson
    If stone is wet ride car.

Dave

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

3" tops here all said and done. Very wet.

18. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

same here...4 AM dusting no plowing and went back to bed...6:30 my motherinlaw calls asking when i will plow (she does not drive or even get the mail) (I think she's nuts) look out side and 6"+ boy was I behind the 8 ball

19. ManorLandscape8

ManorLandscape8 Member

Like the southern Connecticut and southeast New York members here, I too woke up at 5 in the morning to the sounds of a plow. We were only suppose to get 1 maybe to so I figured someone is just scraping down the shopping center across from me. Look outside and we had about 3" and still coming down. We got about 6inches in 4 hours. I was happy because I make some money but I really want spring. Now they are watching one at the end of the week. I just watch the weathermen now as a form of entertainment because its hilarious how they call themselves professionals with their 10,000 dollar doppler 4,000s and they cant even predict what is going to happen in the next hour!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  20. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

They said flurries,then it was maybe 1 inch.Get up at 3am only a dusting call my guys tell to keep sleeping i'll go out and salt myself.Wake up at 4.30am and its snowing so hard i could'nt even see my trucks,call everone in.We ended up with 5-9 payup payup