1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

They Cried in December...They're going to have break downs in January!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I don't know about you guys,but I had a few customers freaking out in December when they recieved there invoices:dizzy: . I can't wait for January! They're calling for a major storm next week in Chicago.....LOCK & LOAD!!!!:salute:
  2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

Im Ready.... Bring on the snow !!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

were did you see that buddy?
  4. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Yea, i dont see anything but rain.....
  5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

chicago extremes

You guys get some serious weather out there! I was hanging out down by the shedd aquarium on july 4th 1997 and the sky turned grey and opened up in a matter of 2 minutes. It rained so hard that my skagen wristwatch was full of water! The t shirt venders @ the taste made a fourtune on that one! I was also there in march 1997 and the snow coming of the lake was just a blinding horizontal sheet!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Quit jumping the gun and jinxing us!
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

A few of my customers were suprised at ther bill too, my thing is what do they expect? Just being in the plowing business isn't cheap, people don't realize some of our rigs cost more than both the cars they have in there driveway.
  8. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

yea same here few customers lost there heads over there invoices..but oh well i'm not doing this for practice..
  9. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

They all calm down after a while - they will be on their 06 budget in 2 days and all will be fine - best december in 17 years for us - all bills are paid wheter we get another flake or not.. i will say the pattern will be active but the zonal flow of the jet is screwing everyone !
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

big storm next week? Sounds like you rely on our great weatherguessers.I think we will only get rain.
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Whe the temps hover right around 32-35 degrees you just never know what you'll get for precip. i don't need a big storm, 2 or 3 inches is fine with me. just keep it coming, maybe like twice a week, is that too much to ask.:)
  12. The Cowboy

The Cowboy Junior Member

Not up here. Temps are typically 5 degrees lower because I'm so far out of Chicago. We get snow when most of Illinois gets rain. But that also works the other way around too. Many times we get sun when youre getting whiteouts.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Finally a second truck!

Well I found my second truck, its a 92 F150 Heavy half ton. It needs some work but all in all its a keeper. It needs Both L&R tie rod ends, one of the two gas tanks are leaking and a new rear brake line. The guy selling it is a State Trooper I work with, and he got a new F150 at the end of last summer so it's been sitting. The bed is also rough but it's going to be my flat bed, and the cab is spotless. Best of all I picked it up for $400.00 just to get it out of his yard and that includes all the parts it needs to become road worthy. I am a mechanic for the Police full time so working on it is nothing to me and Iv'e been around Fords for the past 5 years. Finally something worked out for me. Its soly going to be a second plow truck not for lawn care. Now what plow to start looking for...
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sorry that previous post was supposed to be a new thread.
  15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It would be funny to call your customers on a no snow or low snow month and complain your not making any money. They would not get it though and think your a ass for complaining, if they could only see it reversed maybe they wouldn't complain so much.
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

snow? I think I remember what that stuff is, its white and cold right:p
  17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am sick of complaints from customers. First they have these special things they want done and when they recieve the first bill of the year it hits the fan. Most of my problems are for the salting cost. All I do is guesstimate the amount used based on how many jobs I covered with 1 load. It is not cheap to salt and they have no idea the actual cost of me being in business or the cost of equipment. All they know is how can it cost so much? I am sick of it and considering pulling the plug next year. Whenever the phone rings I dont want to answer because usually there are nothing but complaints or come and do some silly task like shovel 5 ft of sidewalk that is barely drifted over. This business is bs.