1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thermostat or clutch fan?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Jan 15, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so with plow in vee going down the road over 50 miles per hour truck gets a lil warm. About 230-235. I usaully pull over and let it cool down a little or if i don't it will eventually cool back down really rapidly. When it cools down rapidly i don't hear the clutch fan right away. It seems that i only hear the fan kick in after the truck cools back down. Because i'm an idiot and don't know anything this is what i was wondering: Is it possible the thermostat is sticking and then opens up and cools the motor down and at the same time engaging the clutch fan. I know they aren't directly related, but because of how fast it cools down it seems like it's the thermostat. any ideas?
    it's on an 02 chevy 3/4 hd
    thanks in advance!
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There was a recall on some fan clutches. I would think it's the clutch. It should be making the "roaring" sound anytime it's that hot. It should sound almost like the jeeps on the M.A.S.H. show. I changed mine on my F-250, (I know it's a Ford) it made a world of difference. If the fan blade is all chewed or rusted I would change it too. Lowering the plow can help or staying under certain MPH. Use the search function on the gray line above. It's been addressed on Chevy's a few times a year here.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Most likely it is your clutch fan. I have ran chevys my whole life and ever since 2000 and newer it has happened to all my trucks.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cluch fan.
    Thermostats rarely stick in the closed position.
  6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

prolly not the thermo..but then again its about 10 mins of your time and 10 bucks worth of some money for coolent/part just to replace and rule it out..

SIMPLY KUSTOMS Junior Member

I know it's a bit late, but on the '02 to '05 chevy 3/4 ton there is a service bulletin out to the dealerships on the OEM fan clutch when a plow is used. Any chevy dealer should be able to get you the new, correct temperature rated fan clutch for your truck, and the problem will be solved. One of my clients has 3 '04 chevys that i did this on, and no more overheating issues.
  8. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

ya i knew about it, but was trying to avoid the $136. But i went and got one today and installing it this afternoon. thanks for the help... lets hope this changes things. :)
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might even consider changing the thermostat so you know it's new. I have had 2 fail on me in the last 5 years. No warning, just overheated big time and popped a heater hose each time. Buy a good one and have the counter guy look it up. Take the old one with you too. If you have not owned the truck it's whole life some "Tard" may have changed to a different temp thermostat to get better " performance".
  10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Do what I did. Go to your local chain auto parts store and buy a Hayden 12" electric fan for $59. It is a push/ pull type that is very thin. It should fir between the Rad. and the Fan. with room to spare. Part number 3670.