1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

There went alot of profit!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Our plow season started out on about 12/29/04. We ran hard for about 3 days. I was looking at the accounts recievable and thinking that I might actoully make my bank payment this year after all. Last week I had to go to Grand Forks ND for business meetings for my real job. I hired my father in law to run the pickup when my wife couldn't. I get back just in time on last Thursday to find out that the reverse band and drum in the tranny was fried. They managed to get the sander and blade off the pickup and drive it down to the Chevy dealer 30 min away.
    The account that it cooked on was the last of the day. A lady about 4 miles out of town called to get plowed out of their farmstead. I went out to see what had happened. I don't know what my father in law was thinking but he made a worse mess than what the people had in the first place. The next day I borrowed a JD tractor (huge, front wheel assist) from one of the neighbor ranchers to clean up the mess that we had left with the pickup.
    The part that bothers me is I just put 2800 into that tranny(turbo hydro 400) to beef it up. Allison torque converter, shift kit, extra clutch packs, etc. I guess forward was beefed up but reverse wasn't. I think that it was from too much piling snow up high. You know, push into and up the pile until you are almost stuck, then back out.
    Anyway, story of my life, almost see light then get buried again. I looked at my wife and said " well I guess this is good excuse to keep plowing till we get that paid off also".

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Its funny, the TH400 is revered as been an exceptionally strong transmission, but we had a truck that would puke them out at least once per season. Big things too like cracked housings, sheared output shafts, cooked TCs, etc. The drivers were horrible to that truck, but it went through 9 transmissions with just a little over 50K miles.

Best of luck with your truck.

3. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

400th

man 9 trannies in 50 thou
    you better find better drivers.
    my 78 gmc has the original trans but i take care of my stuff and dont
    think i have a dozer....

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's the biggest reason why I will not expand- I don;t trust people in my equipment. I drive one and when I need the other my father drives it- he has more plowing experiance than I do so I know he will take care of the truck AND knows how to plow without damaging the truck.

My opinion- if you know how to drive and plow you don't get tranny failures. I know a fair number of people that plowed the same truck for many years (more than 5 with my dodge alone) and no tranny failures.
    Maybe you should examine the driver a little more before having him plow again for you. He may have good intentions, but maybe not the skill or knowledge.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Truck I sold last yer was a 89 GMC-HD 2500 270k miles. Original trans and still ran hard.

Have a 88 GMC 2500 with 75k and trans seems as if is new. Both these trucks have the TH400. My own trucks and I have installed drain plugs on the pan bottums so I can change the fluid mid winter and not the filter.

Then in fall before the season I change the fluid and filter.Each year since a using work trucks back in the 80se I have started do'ing this and have not had problem yet.

I just got a 98 RAM 2500 and have already changed out the fluid and filter and in spring will install the drain plug.

I think you should have your driver's start be'ing walkers. That is a shame that the buisness or owner has to put up with that stuff as employee's think owner's and buisness' can substain loss's such as this. And that is what it is a loss. You still have to pay him and most likely have him/her use another truck.

I have 4 trucks 2 for plowing and if it is not my son or me in them it is no one as I trust no one else,not even the wife. I have worked with and seen to many guy's in the past who abuse the equipment just for the fact that it is the "shop's" and I have also seen them do it on purpose hoping to break it so they could go home.