1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

there should be a law.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bgingras, Feb 12, 2006.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

requireing snow plow operators to have some kind of warning lights! I almost hit 2 of them in blinding snows today because they had no lights...those are just the 2 I had close encounters with, never mind the fact that I can count on one hand the total number of trucks that actually had light on their vehicles today(and I don't mean turned on)....but I saw an insane number of plow trucks on the road today, but less that a handfull with lights!!! Is it to much to ask to have people use lights when visibility is down below 1/4 mile in a blizzard?!?! My word, headlights would have at least been nice! I'm favoring liscensing plow trucks, and requireing warning lights, and inspecting them! Ugghhh

Stepping off my soap box now...
  2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for!! You could end up with exams and license requirements that cost YOU thousands a year!! :nono: Now do you really want that? :confused:
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is a law requiring an amber bacon while engaged in snow plowing.
  4. mpflood

mpflood Member

Here we go .....:salute:
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

SSSHhhhh!!!!:nono: And don't tell MOM ether lol:waving:
  6. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I wish there was something here...it would take half the lowballers off the street that can't afford lights for their plow frmae, never mind a beacon.

I'm not looking for $1000 fees, but how about a class required that addresses how to perform in the public way and other safety issues. I'd gladly pay $150 if I knew it would help keep some of the unsafe operators off the road! I'm just irritated by what I'm seeing lately.
  7. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

Common Sense While Plowing

Are we talking regular plowlights? truck lights? 4 way flashers? or a roof light? I think all it takes is a little common sense on everyones part including the guy that always seems to be on the road in front of us with a hole cleaned in his windshield and no lights doing 5 mph and then slamming on the brakes cause they cant see!!! Thats what I ran into yesterday in the middle of the blizzard!!! Any one run into any thing like that?
  8. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I saw one 1/2 ton truck with no Plow lights, headlight, turn lamp, beacon or anything, the plow frame was missing the lights entirely....actually lucky I could even see him. Now to make matters worse it's a 4x2, mid 80's, loaded with sand and snow, with tire chains on the back. This is more of an extreme of what I'm irritated by, but it's a great example!
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's extreme and totally illegal in this state- but as we all know the cops seem to choose what they wish to enforce as laws baised on their own personal preferences, several members will agree.

If you're driving with a plow on you are required to have plow lights on- headlights (DOT certified) above the plow or obstruction. If you're driving in limited visability you're required to have your headlights on. If you're engaged in the act of plowing you're required to have amber warning lights. HOWEVER if you're driving down the street with the blade in the air you can be cited for having the amber warning lights on- reguardless of the weather conditions or your personal opinion. That's the laws in this state.

Has nothing to do with lowballers. I alsmot got nailed or nailed 3 or 4 trucks in the storm- a city truck included because with their becons going I saw them but they were not paying attention to the traffic on the road with them.

Licenses and permits and all that beuracratic B.S. is not the answer- the Government's involvement NEVER improves ANYTHING. Now, If the cops were citing the violations they see.....

It's one thing when a license plate is covered in snow on a plow truck when he's on route, going to route, or going home from route, but white strobes, traffic breakers, headlight strobes, missing plow lights.....it's not like the operator doesn't know his truck has this issue Or that it's illegal..... CITE EM.

That's as bad as the local cops where I work releasing Illegals because it's too much work to book them since they're illegal and have no license.
  10. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

So great, it's the law and no one enforces it instead. And here I thought it wasn't on the books...doesn't make it any better, but at least I know it's one less thing for me to complain about. but now I get to complain about them not enforceing it...ok I'm just grumpy after 18" of snow.
  11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

It's probably a yard truck unregestered and a nieghbor helping a nieghbor--Relax count your money today!!!! You should know by now"drive defensively"--If uncle Mitt catches wind of your request--we'll be looking at fees and the such and lost time(Lost profits)---you know how he likes them fees! My light broke during the storm ---Should I have stopped plowing? All my other lights were functioning! Ran with just the hazards and plow lights--It was an easy storm to get aggrevated because everyone was home so we all had more idiots to deal with!!!!!!
  12. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

well he must consider everyone in town his neighber, I see that truck all over town during a storm. I do drive defensivley, but you can only defen against what you can SEE.
  13. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I here you!!! The guys a loser!---unfortunatly we're not the police--Who ultamately should enforce this sort of thing!--This type gives us all a bad name--he was probably drunk as a skunk too!!!!
  14. go plow

go plow Senior Member

sunday i was driving down a narrow rd. there was a car trying to get by me, so both the car and i drove as close to the side of the rd as possible, as i was passing the car, a plow driver was pushing snow out into the rd.. that i think is worse then some one plowing without lights!!!!