1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

There is officialy NO salt in my area!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I tried my last hope for bulk salt and a big zero, "We'll take your name for next year" Geeeeeeeeeeee thanks.I hope all these salt manufactures get crushed and this BS price increase bites them in the ASS! I put a 1000.00 deposit on a new tailgate spreader for my Downeaster dump bed and and of course the guy wont give a my deposit back, go figure (is that even legal)? I can still get bagged at 149.00 for 30-80lb bags but my torn L5 disc might say otherwise. I guess I'll buy the stupid spreader AND buy a 300 gallon tank, 50 bucks worth of pvc and put my liquid system together. God I'm so sick of this business! Sorry for the rant but had a very bad day!

2. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

dont underst and where you guys are having these issues. I called my place, and he is like no problem, x amount a yard, and its not that much more then last year...

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

we dont live in pa.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

keep calling, i called like 50 places... some said yes, others said no

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

what about that company With a grain of salt. They say they will have all the salt you'll need.

6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

With a grain of Salt is not taking new customers in my area at this time. I don't like it, but respect their position. If they have x amount available, and sell xyz amount, then they are going to have some upset customers. Just stinks for the private contractors the municipal buyers are hoarding it all around here.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We drove past a huge salt mining operation on the way to (or through) PA this spring. Dont recall their name, but they had a sh!tload piled up there.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So their not taking any new customers,but in snow magazine that came out the other day they have a 2 page spread about if you buy and pay for it they will get all your salt that you need.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah wasn't the deadline October 15th?

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Have you thought of calling some of your competitors? I found the other contractor can be your best friend,they just order the load (enough for both) and you split the cost! My friend and I share the salt pile, he loves not having to put up all the $$$

11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I got the same story from Grain of Salt....

12. salopez

salopez Senior Member

try international salt

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I flew into the Toronto island airport last Friday, and saw piles of salt in the port.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

im so sick of all this salt stuff

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

does/has anybody that live near these salt piles know what they should look like in a normal year?

the piles on the mississippi near me are about a third of what they should be right now

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

i wonder if that because ppl are taking delivery right now.. back in july were they as big as normal?

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

these piles just started growing again because of barge traffic

about the delivery i dont know there is only so many trucks so it can only be hauled so fast

when we are talking piles that are millions of tons vs peoples sheds that hold a few hundred each it is still a scary picture

18. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have tried all the others places same thing try again next year brian we are going liquid the only thing i am not sure if we need a permit to apply it got one more place to try next is the road trip like i said.

19. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The've started unloading another pile too, So far for salt Toronto looks fine, our dealers say no problem, I know the piles down at the docks there completely disappeared last year, first I've seen that happen, but they are almost back to the normal pre-season piles.

20. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I Just got word from 3 other salt dealers that there is no salt for us around here. I just got on for the the last of 3 truck loads of bag salt for one of our lawn and garden dealers this year. I have just enought salt from last year and this year to do only 1 of our salt contracts and the price is double for these D*m bags but oh well I got salt I hope it gets better for next year.