1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Theft

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zapster, Feb 24, 2006.

1. zapster

zapster Member

has anyone ever had their plow stolen or parts ripped off?:gunsfiring:

my dad works at a fisher dealer/installer place

he says its pretty bad :realmad:

is this true?

...zap!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

A western Pro was stolen off a truck here about a month ago.

3. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

lost my meyer lift pump and mount off my truck while it was parked in front of my house last month :angry: :angry:

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it happens on occasion, last year a relitively large company lost a half dozen snow pushers, on occasion a Meyer tube headgear and pump, I also hear of probably 15-20 meyer blades stolen a year( after all they are so easy to swipe)

remember to use Masterlock Hitch locks wherever a 5/8" bolt would goprsport

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It does happen, i guess people really need parts and don't have the money or something. Maybe they should be charging more to cover there costs, damn lowballers.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Every year we sell pumps, blades and lights to people whom have had their's stolen.
    Three winters ago I had a auto dealer buy 5 meyer E-60 pumps to replace the ones stolen off vehicles in their storage lot. The next week it happened to them again. Fenced lot, locked and lit, with a security patrol and located on a major highway. After the second time they stored the pumps in the service dept until they sold the trucks, and their insurance company made them put video security on the storage lots.
    This past summer another dealer had the rims/tires stolen from 4 trucks on their show lot. They put blocks under the axles, pulled the valve cores let the trucks settle and then pulled the wheels. Again located on a major roadway, with-in 100 yards of the town police station.
    We have to pull all the skid feet off of new blades stored on pallets and lock them in doors or they disappear. People seem to think because they're there and they need them, it's OK. After all the insurance pays the bill, NOT.:angry:

7. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

2 Of My Customers/freinds This Year

One of my buddys lost a trailer last night called me this morning corey brand bobcat trailer 10,00 lbs in woburn mass.i did some custom work on this making it very identifiable.The other loss was a 05 fisher mm2 headgear/plow complete 2 mos ago.if anyone in my area here of a good deal on a trailer my friend would apreciate the:help: .thanks everyone

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

meyers pump

A Friend Of Mine Would Weld A Tack Bead On The Top And Bottem Bolt On The Pump So Nobody Could Steal Them.

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

cheap lock for pump

I drill a hole in the bold that holds the Meyer plow to the hoop. Then I pound in a roll pin. Easy to take out if you have a small punch or drift pin. Most people stealing pumps just bring rachet socket and wrench. I timed taking off a Meyer pump, 46 sec from time I started till I was walking away. New list price for an e60 or e57 is just under $2000. I used the locks one year they rusted so bad I had to cut it off.

Dave

10. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Never had a plow taken, but about three years ago, someone took one of my Henderson Chief V-Box Spreaders. It was an 8' painted stainless version. They just picked it up off the ground by hand a loaded it up. I discovered it missing the day before Christmas (what a bummer). The crazy thing is, I found it the following year around Dec 28th in a guys truck about a 1/2 hour from me!! Even crazier, I called the police, and since I didn't have the serial number or pics, I couldn't prove it was mine!! (He couldn't really prove it was his either, but that's another story). Although, I could describe every modification, the law was on his side. What a joke! Anyway, hind sight being 20/20, I now write down every serial number and take (many) pictures of every piece of equipment that I own and would suggest that everyone out there do the same. Not too easy for a plow, though.

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We have lost several pumps and blade assemblies over the last 20 years here in NJ and we now stamp everything with our company name and phone number with meatl stamps. We also tack wels pump nuts and bolts too. Most of our equipment has easily identifyable modifications too, but with all of that, we still never got anything back. We try to keep an eye on everything but end up chalking it up to the cost of doing business. :cry:

12. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

In our town about six a year get boosted--One got reported on Saturday!--Last year was real bad-- one company lost four complete MM set- ups!

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

They like to steal the western quick mounts around here.

Also pumps, head gear, whatever they need at the time.

Bobcats dissapear quick. Loaders, backhows, etc...

Buckets, pushers, implements, etc...