1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Theft devices

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BillyRgn, Jan 18, 2014.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Looking for some input on a theft device for a backhoe, in looking for something affordable that will work. I'm also looking into kill switches, anyone have any suggestions ? I have a jd 410G and am looking to do something with all this theft that has been going on !!
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

And a kill switch
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not overly familiar with Deere products but if they're like the Cat machines they all have a power key somewhere. Remove it until you need to use the machine. Not many people have those power keys but anyone can get a deere key.
  4. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I don't know the prices on these, but maybe the Backhoe Lock and/or Wheel Lock here <http://www.trailer-alarms.com/eqlock.htm> would be of use to you.

I have no association with the vendor, other than that he's been very helpful with sending me info about the DeWalt MobileLock alarm/GPS tracker. BTW, MobileLock has a vibration detector with adjustable settings, so if somebody climbed into the backhoe while the alarm was armed, it could send an alert. Then if it went outside its "geofence," you could get another alert. It works on Sprint (or roams on Verizon), so it doesn't need a SIM.
  5. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Security guard or a pit bull only security that is gonna work, if they get it, yea that sucks but you have insurance right??
  6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, yes I have insurance but I'd hate to find out it disappeared the night of a storm with no way to track it down. Anyway to make it harder to take is what I'm looking for. Lately it seems everyone has a story about knowing someone who had something taken
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have and electronic injection system?
  8. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I'm not sure it's a 2003 Deere 410 G
  9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

lojack. we ha a brand new 410 stolen off a job site 4 years ago. called it in, and they had it back on the job the next day after finding it 30 miles away in a contractors garage.
    he claimed he "borrowed it from a friend" a week before it went missing.

needless to say, he took a ride in the back of a police car.

they also found close to a million dollars worth of other stolen equipment in the garage
  10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But don't the cops have to have the receiver in there cars?
  11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

What's a LoJack setup cost for a machine, is there a monthly service charge
  12. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Not all police cars have a LoJack receiver; just the ones with the four antennas arranged for the direction-finding setup. Once a vehicle with a LoJack unit in it is entered into NCIC, the unit is triggered and starts sending. If a police car with a receiver is within 3-5 miles of the stolen vehicle's location, the compass bearing starts showing up on the receiver.
    It's available in around 28 states plus the District of Columbia. All counties in MA and RI are covered, six of the eight counties in CT, and Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties in NH. None of ME or VT. NY coverage is mostly around the Big Apple and on Long Island.

I don't know the price or the monthly fee. Might save some buck$ on your insurance, and they claim a 90% recovery rate.