1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

theft claim what will insurance pay???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fireboy6413, Nov 7, 2009.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I had a plow stolen from me, it was a 8 1/2 pro plus bought new in 07. I am debating on putting a claim in, I have a 1000 deductible, so is it worth for me to put it in, what do they usually give you for a 2 year old plow

2. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

It depends on your insurance coverage. call your agent and ask, they should be able to tell you approximately what you'll get back.

3. fireboy6413

yeh im gonna on monday, im also afraid of them raising my rates, what do you pay insurance for.

4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Becareful how you report the theft. Make sure it was reported to you local law enforcement. If you have business insurance, they should cover it if you had that type of coverage. If not, it could be covered on your homeowners insurance, but you have to be careful to not mention if was used for business purposes, otherwise the homeowners won't cover it. As far as what they cover, that also depends on your coverage. I have replacement coverage on my homeowners. That costs me a little extra per year, but I get back what I paid for the item. If not replacement, they will depreciate the plow for the 2 years you had it. If you aren't satisfied with their offer, appeal it. They will usually up the ante (to a point) to keep you happy.
    Note: I have not had a claim for years, so keeping a high deductable works for me. If you are first starting out, you may want to lower your deductable so you don't have to take that high dollar hit. Steve

5. fireboy6413

Yeh Grampa plow its going through my homeowners, I never put a claim in before so I cant see them giving me a problem, I learn a good lesson hear, this weekend I took all my serial numbers pics etc and faxed it all to my business insurance. this theft s""t sucks,

6. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

Bunch of lazy losers out there. I had my truck stolen twice this year. Once from right in front of my house. It's sad to say, but don't think your safe. lock everything up.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You will be amazed what a new plow can cost. Have your dealer price it by the piece. If you have coverage even with a 1K deductable you should get enough to purchase a used unit. A new moldboard alone can be 1K. If you bought the truck new the dealer should have your serial numbers on the warranty paperwork.

8. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

After reading bashers comment, if you have your dealer price out the parts piece by piece, you may find out that by adding a little money to the insurance settlement, you may be able to buy an entire new plow! Then you'd either have some spare parts that didn't get stolen or you'd be able to sell them.

9. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

you guys are pretty right on, best if you have a GL policy is to get a Inland Marine policy for your equipment. Best way to do it for value and deductible reasons. If you are small like me and cannot afford the insurance policies, yes never say it is for business use, but for your own driveway, it will be covered under your Contents for your homeowners. Some carriers allow the plow to be covered under a commercial auto policy as equipment. That you have to check out with your agent. Good Luck!!!! Any questions let me know, by the way People Suck, I hope that if someone ever comes after mine with Three locks on it and parking over it overnight that Rover just happens to be outside taking a leak!!!

10. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

My Smith and Wesson never takes a leak, and he's always by my bed.

"Officer, when I saw that bolt cutter in his hand I thought he might come after me with it." "I was afraid for my life." Translated = "bang---freeze a$$hole!" Ooops, did I get that backwords??