1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The wost Driveway you ever service?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Lets hear about the wost drive you have ever plow or salted?
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The worst one is that turny thing I helped you salt, lol. That is horrible, you should get a few pics of it, lol
  3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I am going to go out there today and check it and snap a few LOL
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Uphill driveway, with turnaround (tight), stacked stone walls surrounding it... and his dumb daughter's car randomly parked 'wherever'.

3/8" clear stone on top of 2"

Not really THAT bad but time consuming and irritating. Gotta raise their rate next year.
  5. Easy

Easy Senior Member

The worst one I did was about 1/4 mile long, past a 2 car garage and house, (with cars parked in front next to the drive), over a small creek, up a hill with a crossing drive/parking area at the top. It was stone, lined with railroad ties and there wasn't enough room at the top to turn around, or pile the snow. Both sides of the drive were wooded and had a drop off going into a ravine. The view of the street was blocked with fir trees, and was a state rte. with a 55 mph speed limit.
    To top it all off, he only wanted it done when there was 6" or more snow.
    I did it for a while, then he started complaining that I was doing it when there was less than 6" of snow. I told him it was hard to judge the difference between 5 1/2 and 6 inches of snow in the dark at 3 a.m. while sitting in my truck in the street.
    Finally I told him to find someone else.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Worse driveway I have done is.......the one that didn't pay me.....lol
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This doesn't LOOK bad; but the way it curves to the right going up and barely room enough to turn around at the top makes it interesting. But it's coming back down on packed snow or ice that will put hair on your chest. That's a stream to the left with no bank or barrier. If you lose traction coming down and can't steer, you've got a problem. When I used the one ton with the sander, I'd sand on the way up every time. But when I got the 3/4 ton last winter, I didn't want sand in it. At the end of last winter, I told him he'd have to find someone else.

This isn't actually the worst one I've ever had; just the worst I have pictures of.

Benner DR I-A.jpg

Benner Dr V.jpg
  8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

That looks like fun I need to get some of the one I do
  9. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

By far the worst driveway I've done. I didn't put a scale on the picture, but from entrance to the back was about 200'. There was no where to stack snow. I put what I could in the back part and had to push the rest back towards the entrance and stack it there. To top it off there was a huge Pine Tree hanging over the driveway that would drag against my truck and the entrance was on a busy road! What a cluster bleep! :dizzy:

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Dosent look like fun
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That is scary how similar that looks to the upper portion of mine. Off the bottom of your driveway, there is more, probably about 1/8 mile in a big sweeping S. The roundabout center and porch areas are surrounded by the stacked rock walls. And the car is usually parked in front of the garage doors (sideways), as well as two others that could be parked anywhere in that area or around the roundabout!
  12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hm.. kinda look's like a toilet to me :D
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mine. i coming home and then have to plow my own!
  14. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

LOL...Ha! It totally does, I didn't notice that when I made it!
  15. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

Mine, I do it for free, it gets done last, and is never as clean as the rest.
  16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

The worst driveway I have ever done was one on a slope leaning the passanger side of the truck lower than the drivers side. Anyways, it was not paved and always all ice. So I went in and pushed then the tires spun a little and I was stuck for 4 hours. No one to call or anything. I dropped the account the next day.

The worst driveway I have now is so small that I can barely fit the truck in it, and the paving is horrible so I can barely even move in the driveway without tripping the edge. And to top it off the women who owns it has to be the stupidest person I've ever had contact with. Its just frusterating thinking about it. I'm not going to continue service there next year though. I feel like I'm ruining my blade doing that drive. And another "nice" thing about it is that she wants the lawn next to the drive plowed, then complains when she sees a little grass in the snow pile. I explained this would happen but she apparently couldn't fuiger it out.

And my driveway gets done like a day or two after a storm lol.
  17. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I havent shoveled my snow all year. lol

Heres my worst job. I got rid of it but have to go back in spring and replace a couple boxwoods around the fountain and a landscape light. I got stuck in this loser trying to back out a load. Thers no where to put the snow in the circle drive. Downslope going into the job.

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My worst driveway is my own. I've plowed 22 times and have only done mine 4 times. Just don't feel like it when I get home or the next day or the next day.

My worst account is the one below. It is a sidewalk on a highway over pass. Very narrow and no where to put the snow. The side of my mini truck is all scraped up because of this bridge.

I keep a pushN it in the street and the City keeps a pushN it back on the sidewalk. lol :dizzy:

Very seldom do I do this with the truck. Most of the time I have to come back with my blower and blow the snow over the edge.

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Same bridge, other side, using Kubota with blower to clear it. Kind of crazy what a 4" storm amounts to when 2.5 lanes of road are pushed up against a wall.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

QuadPlower....that has to suck especially with traffic coming at you.