1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Worst Oil Filter Locations.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alamarc, Nov 11, 2005.

1. alamarc

alamarc Member

Does anyone have any idea why Toyota put the oil filter in the WORST SPOT EVER CONCIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is on the passanger side above the control arm so high that it feels like its next to the altenator!!!!!!!:angry:

Not to mention the fact that i have to bend my arm in an unnatural position to even get to it through the only gap which happens to be right next to the exhaust pipe!!!!!!!!! Which by the way is always HOT because to do a good oil change the oil needs to be hot so it doesn't move like molases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have any good spots??

I also have a conspiracy theory--:gunsfiring: auto engineers intentionally do it just to screw with us!!!!!!
  2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

less messier way of doing it

Cut the bottom of a detergent container off (like the bottom 2-3 inches of a 50 oz wisk bottle) and hold it under the filter while you take it off... drop the filter into the mini drain pan you made and wiggle it sideways beween the exhaust pipe to drop it out... if you make it the right height it will fit between the pipe and hold the oil from the filter without giving you a hot shower...

Toyo's filter location - such a half-a## location I've never seen. I keep thinking remote filter every time I change the oil.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

the Nissan Hardbody is located in the wheel well. Everytime i change the oil i have to take the splash guards off, and bend my arm in about 3 diffrent positions. must be imports...
  4. payton

payton Senior Member

now wait didnt gm have a blazer or tahoe. s-10 style that had the oil filter relocated to a hidden door in the front area near the radiator..

5. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

The Ford Expedition has it in the front driver's side, near the bumper. Now, when Socker Mom crunches the fender she can spill oil all over the parking lot.

Of course it is kind of easy to get to, so I'm not sure it's a bad idea.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I remember back in my quick lube days the early Nissan Maximas 3.0 V6 were THE WORST. We actually bought burn sleeves to put over our arms while dangling down the back of the motor. Of course they always just came in smokin hot right off the highway. The filter had to be loosened from below by one guy then removed from above by the other guy. Worst one I remember having to do, and I estimate I did about 35,000 over 4 years or so.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My 99 ranger oil filter was next to the steering wheel shaft you had to use 2 fingers to unscrew it then hold it upside down then pull it along the shaft.Thats why ford had a funnel mounted right under the filter and drained out right where the oil plug was.
    My 05 dakota the same way but the filter is mounted right in front.
  8. alamarc

alamarc Member

I have a few words for the :gunsfiring: Auto Engineers!!!

I had a 97 S-10 that was kool--the filter was in a crappy spot but it had a funnel right under it that would run the oil right out by the plug. Why can't they all do that. My girlfriends Grand-Am is right under the bumper which is easy to get to but i really don't like oil running down my arm everytime i do a change......
  9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Yup the 95 till 199x have the oil filter under a skidplate with a lil trap door right in frotn the radiator, very easy to get too. My 1993 s10 has the filter remotely mounted under the hood, also very easy to get to.
  10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I know the 4 cyl Chevy Lumina's had a plate overtop of the oil filter, the Buick Century's the easiest way to get those off you had to take off the passenger side wheel, Mazda 626 the filter was in the middle of the block between the motor and the firewall. My old Dakota was kind of a pain course it's not going to be easy with a V8 shoe horned in there.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The mid 90's caddy arent in a bad location but: the filter is on top drivers side rite over the the tranny. The bad part is they have the filter so when you take it off ALL of the oil drains all over the tranny. Just did one today and what a mess....Rob
  12. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I have a 78 ford fairmont straight six I can change the oil and filter from under the hood without jacking it up.:)
  13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Changed the oil in an old smallblock Chevy last night, got all done underneath, went to put oil in and found that due to the aftermarket chrome valve covers there was no place to put the oil in! Had to bend a little baffle with a screwdriver and SLOWLY drip it in the PCV breather hole. must have taken me ten minutes to get five quarts in it. Makes me wonder if the previous owner ever changed it at all. Probably not.
  14. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Thats why i like the straight six in my truck....

But my 96 t-bird with the 4.6 is horrible. You have to manuever your arm over the sway bar, then get your two fingers on the oil filter. Then let the pil drain down the K member and spill everywhere. Then turn the filter sideways one way, then back the other way, then upside down and pull as hard as you can to make it past the motor/k member/ A/C hoses. I changed it once and said F that. Put a remote filter kit on. That was a b**** tooo
  15. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I believe that after the first year, they moved the oil filter back over the fron axle. In that location they built in a drain pan / guide as there was no way to do it without spillage. Chris
  16. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

On my 2004 Ford F-350 Diesel the oil filter is a cartrige on top of the engine. Combine that with the Fumoto Valve I can change my oil with khakis on. Chris
  17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, the Dodge CTD is in a sh*tty spot to...What are they thinking while designing these trucks? :rolleyes:
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

What are you talking about- that's an easy one to change?
    Get a filter wrench that goes on a socket wrench, use to 6 inch extensions and lay on the ground under the truck to loosen it. Reaching over the left fender spin it off, hold it upright and move it toward you 4 inches to clear the AC lines and lift straight up- usually no spills!, now the fuel filter on the CTD it a different story, but once you get a normal filter wrench on it to loosen it it comes out fairly easy and goes in fairly easy.
  19. Herz

Herz Junior Member

My 92 toyo is easy to change the filter, but once you loosen it, oil goes all over the transfer case. Honda Del Sol -- you have to reach up between the firewall and the engine, loosen it and move out of the way quckly. Then get the towells to clean up all the residue on the engine crevices.
    Automotive Desing Engineering 101 -- put the owner sevice parts in the least convenient places.
  20. alamarc

alamarc Member

Does anyone know if them make a remote setup for a tacoma?