1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The V10 stuff continues..

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dublin Plow, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

I have posted a couple of things about my V10 and this site has been sweeeeeeeeet with the help..

Again..I bought this thing from"grandpa"..had not driven it in 3 years..only 40K on it when I got it in late July of this year..the RIGHT price..

I have a couple of diesels and just wanted a gasser..I heard heard some of my buds talking about a common V10 issue but can't remember what specifically it was.

I remember it being a 'cold" engine diagnosis and either manifolds or manifold studs..

No noises until recently with the cold temperatures and it goes away once the engine is warm after driving for a few minutes

Sounds like a clicking or ticking that i would associate with an exhaust leak but I am NO wrench turner..

Whaddya says guys...

Thanks as always

2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Hydraulic lifters.

I've got a 02 v-10 and a 00 7.3L diesel.
    V-10 runs great, but it sure loves the gas pump.
    No matter the driving comparison it'll never ride in the same category mileage wise as the diesel.

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

And to think that a 7.3 is not fuel efficient, only burns something like 55 percent. Imagine with it tuned the difference if you could bump it to 80.

4. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

exhaust manifold studs. Been there done that on my 03 v10. Very common problem on 5.4's and 6.8's.

5. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

I thought the (manifolds)studs was what I remembered....is it a necessary fix? Or should I wait till after the season when I can stand to have the truck down??

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it is your exhaust leaking by the gasket because nothing is holding it on. Here is what I did. It took me a weekend.
    Don’t know your skills but the fender wells need to come out and the wheels and tires off. I plasma cut the remaining nuts off cause they were so rotted and a socket would not work. There were 4 studs on each side broken in the head. 2 or 3 of them were flush with the head. The ones that stuck out about ¼” or so, were pretty easy to get out after welding a nut to the remaining stud. The flush ones took more effort and time. I would keep welding a “T_T” to the stud below the head and then weld a nut to it when I built up the weld. This took several tries. Also replace the studs and nuts with the stainless ones from the dealer. They are actually copper in color. Bring a magnet with you when you get them. Parts counter people have no clue. I also replaced my manifolds as well as the “SPD” Y pipe modification.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

hydraulic lifters?? aren't those on pushrod motors only? the triton motors are all overhead cam bud, which means there are no lifters.......manifold studs

8. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Over head cam..... DUH!!!!

9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've got a 60 hp bump on it and have gotten as high as 18.4.
    Not bad from a 4x4.
    Of course you gotta drive it responsibly.

10. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

manifold studs it is...both sides, gaskets....oh joy!!!!!! probably a $500 to $700 job cuz this guy is no mechanic...hammer n nails is where I stop..most of the time...

thanks for the help and humor..from all of ya out there

WHENS IT GONNA F-N snow??? Gotta see what this puppy can push..