1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The ultimate ZTR driveway plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by brentsawyer, Jan 20, 2002.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer Junior Member
    from KY

Looked and looked for information for months about manufacturers for Scag snow plows. Realized that what I was after didn't exist or couldn't find so I resorted to creating my own and after putting it to the test yesterday in 6" of snow, it passed with flying colors. I was able to clear virtually any driveway with large slopes easily and quickly. I even did one that the woman who lived there couldn't walk up with ease. Let me know what you think.

snow plow3.jpg

2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

You did a nice job. Can you attach more images from a side view to get a better perspective. Did you fab the mold board with the trip spring or did you recycle it from a riding mower?

I have a commercial walk behind that seems capable of pushing snow and have considered the tranformation.

Tony

3. brentsawyer

from KY

4. brentsawyer

from KY

My dad works for a steel fabrication shop and I had them design it to fit the outside anti-scalping wheel. I took them off and had holes drilled in place of them on the attachment

snow plow.jpg

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good job!

I like the atttitude of "couldn't find what I needed, so I built my own"! :D Same approach I use once in a while.................

Looks well-built and a very professional job. Good way to get year-round use out of your machine too.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

You didn't really answer the question: "did you make the moldboard and trip spring or recycle it?"

I've made two of these now, for garden tractors, my own 48" vplow that adjusts for my '64 Bush Hog garden tractor (also made a cab for it) it has lug tires too they push good. and just got done with a 44" straight blade for a friend's '80 Crapsman garden tractor. He ended up paying about $200 after parts and 8 1/2 hours labor on the blade. I already have pictures of mine but the pics of his aren't through yet.
    http://www.geocities.com/bushhogtractors and click on "pictures of my Bush Hog" and then click on "Page 6 - With the homemade cab and 48" vplow"

I like yours! :) how wide is it?

7. brentsawyer

from KY

The plow was pre-fab along with the trip spring. From the face plate back, it was all redone at the shop on press. The spring was abit on the light side so I think I will be searching out a heavier guage spring. It is 48" wide, perfect for doing sidewalks, no handshoveling except for last pile at the end.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2002
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

you could add another spring. How do you like the trip springs? On the ones i made i didn't bother with a spring because they're on garden tractors at 5mph and you won't do any damage that way. with the vplow i can go up to 7mph if i want and it has lug tires with rubber chains so i usually don't go that fast, but i wanted springs on it but no easy way with a vplow, and it has a rubber edge that flexes over most cracks etc. I usually only plow about 6 mph with it, in light snows. Deep ones are more to 5mph
    Eric

9. steveair

steveair Senior Member

hello,

my thoughts on the trip spring are too just eliminate it.

I have John deere 54" on my dingo, and it has a pin to lock the plow to keep it from tripping.

What I found is that the tripping was annoying, but was useful for hitting cracks.

to solve the problem of cracks, I took a old tire and cut out a rubber cutting edge for the blade. I then bolted it on using the old metal plow edge to hold it tight.

The rubber strip is about 6 inches wide, and I have about 1-11/2 overhang.

It works awesome now. Instead of tripping, it just bounces over crackes. It still scrapes to concrete too. Not great on hard pack, but with such a light plow it never did well anyway. Only advantage I have is I can put down pressure on it with the machine.

I'm sure someone is going to come back with using a poly-edge soon............

steve

10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

ArticGroomer already makes a urethane edge for that application.

Bruce