1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The ultimate solution to the rusting out 7.3 diesel oil pan problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by itsgottobegreen, Aug 13, 2006.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well after having chat with a buddy of mine who is fabricator. I got the ultimate solution for how to solve the ford 7.3 rusting oil pan problem.

I explained to him the problem that the 7.3 oil pan has. That is rusts out really badly and costs $2200-$3200 to replace. That even the replacement ones aren't any better. Even if you line-x them or something. And that I wished I could get one made out of stainless steel or something. So you would never have to replace the pan again. Since the salt eats them alive. Well he just started smiling. Then told me about his 60 ton stamp press. That if I got him another pan he can get a die made for his 60 ton press. Then stamp me a new oil pan out of some t-304 stainless. Then weld in a oil plug hole. He also might be able to stamp in some fins on the bottom for better oil cooling.

So basically you have a stainless 7.3 oil pan. And if they are a success he can make a 6.0 pan latter on.

So WHO WANTS ONE????????????

And what are you willing to pay for this ultimate solution???????

He said he needs at least 100 to justify the cost of the die. Since they cost $$$$

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Why go through all the trouble when you can buy them already in stainless or aluminum?

I don't know why it would cost that much to replace it?

I got a quote from the dealer and it was $1100.

Ended up doing it myself as I have a shop.

By the way this is a problem with all Ford pans. I also had to do a 5.4 gas motor once. IMO it was much harder.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok who else is making them. If someone else is making them, then there must be a market for them. Mine are going to be just like the stock one.

4. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Look the offroad market for parts. You will find a ton of stuff for these trucks. You could also go to thedieselstop.com or fordtruckworld.com and ask.

There is a wealth of info on both sites.