1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the ultimate 36 or 38 inch unit for sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Oct 11, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well i know we have been thru this debate many times, so with all that said

hes the situation , im picking up an account, that had LOTS of sidewalks, ill post a map and distances

most of the walks are 4 feet, however, along the parkign lot, they are 4 feet plus a 6 inch wide curb strib.... thats the plus

the down side, cars hang over the walk. their is grass on the other side of the walk. The prevoius snow guy destyoed the grass with plowing and salting , using an ATV, obvously he was too wide to fit between the cars and the end of the walk

with that said , i did some quick measuring and a 36 inch wide blade sould do the trick pretty well.... in the back side(middle) of the property the walk is 4 feet, 5 in some , however, theres hand shovleing and blowing that has to be done along all the enterance ways , so if a plow cleared 36 inches, the 2 guys with blowers could blow the rest of it, and cut the edges nicely as they walk door to door

clearly if i had a full 4 foot to play with , this would be easy , (tractor or ATV) but since its only 36 , ? smaller tractor? maek a polw for a walkbehind? just run more blowers? and wake ppl up?
    I want a blower, because i dont want to be super noisy.... we will not be stating snow blowers before 8 AM, however i think i can have a tractor of some kind, plow the main walks at 5 or 6 am , since its generally quieter and quicker

anyadvice.. i need it to move kinda fast and be low effort, because this machine will be reposible for keepign the main walks clear through out all snow falls.

as always price is a factor

THANKS for you input

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. elite1msmith

from chicago

total lenth that the machine would have to cover is about 6000 feet , times about 4.5 average is 26,100 there is a little more walk than that however it will be doen by hand with about 4 other guys and blowers

woodstock commons 2.jpg

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

seems liek in that other thread, you guys like the 463? cost might be a factor, also just too close to operate a skid next to those cars... i was thinking tractor, or ATV , ?

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Screw that move to Florida!:waving:

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i saw some hot pics of some hot girls in florida , sounds good to me. My dad just relocated to arizona.... big time landscape job there

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Those are the hardest types of sidewalks to do. Since the cars park perpendicular, with bumpers coming over the walk. Even if you go with a 3 foot plow, you cant windrow towards the cars. So the only real option is to go with a snowblower, thats allot of work for a blower.

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Could drifting be a issue for that sidewalk? Im talking about around the lake!

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

its a small pond, and yeah with a wind from the west it could be. normally the plan is gonna be just to have that tractor operate 24/7 when ever conditions call for it.. it will be stored on site, and never leave , the operator will be reponsible for keeping main walks clear and callin gfor back up with blowers as the need should arise, we will only be blowing the doorway stoops upon compleation of the storm , not during

yeah i thought blower, the only problem , is everybody seems to come and go, from that main walk, i would worry about ppl in the way and liablity, also some of those buildings are closer than they look to the sidewlk, so possiblity for window damage...

thats y i thought blade, and dindrow to the right side.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Would a 42" cycle country plow on a small atv work? With it angled the blade should be around the 3ft wide needed to get infront of the cars.

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The problem if you windrow to the right, after a few times you run out of room and your walkway gets very narrow. The other problem is when you push right and hit something or hard packed snow you will be pushed towards the cars, very risky. I take it that those cars are parked there overnight also. Is there ever a time when there are no cars.

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

damn, i wish i had an account with 6000 ft of sidewalks, www.simplicitmfg.com

Look up their highest end full frame deluxe or signature pro models. Most dealers will get ya like 10% off that list price so dont let it scare you too bad.

I have two 12/13hp 32" models that have been great, they eat snow like no other walkbehind unit.

Im going to be picking up a like 10hp or 11hp 24" model and a 12hp 28" model this month sometime too

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There is always some cars there 24hrs a day.

13. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I've never recommend one before, but because of the width, I would go with a garden tractor with a front mount blower. You can blow the snow from 5' to 20' depending on how you angle the shoot.

I assume the driveway snow will be pushed to the sides also. That snow might end up on the sidewalks and then you will have to blow/push that out of the way.

Go slow and be ready with a welder to modify/reinforce the steel

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i think im gonna do a small tractor with a plow , i thought abou ta small ATV, but its too light and at a higher speed, as neige, suggested it could bounce off a hard pack in to a car, i have seen that before, I have lots of hours using johndeere setups, (318,425,935,1145,1415) just never anything smaller than 48 inches... I have a bunch of 2 stage blowers that will be avalible to this site as well, Im just mainly wanting the plow for speed, and its alot queiter in the middle of the night. only 1/2 the job is by those cars, so the inner cicrle would highly benifit from a tractor. also wanted to pull a cart with baggd salt behind it so the guys can reload easy

i just wasnt sure if there was a walkbehind attachement , or someother way you guys ever tried