1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The truth about MYER plows!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by DAZ982500, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Ihave a chance to buy 8'BLADE classic mount for a F250 7.3 diesel for 1k I will need the mount $350 plus labor another$ 350 .I bring this question up because I owned this same plow set up about 2yrs ago aside from a solenoid going bad and the hyrdo lines freezing when really cold I did not think it was that bad.Whenever I read anything about MYER PLOWS its nothing but bashing about these plows but no real factual information about WHY they are so bad.Can anyone tell me from a productivity,design,hook point of view why they are junk or why they are so bad so I can make an informed decision about this prospect.DAVE

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have one... it does the job.... after seeing other plows in use i would prob go a different way with my next plow but they will get the job done. if they didnt work at all nobody would have one... and its real easy to put my plus on

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What's the truth? There really aren't two E's in Meyer? Just teasing.

For that kind of money I would find a better plow, but a Meyer will do the job.

4. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

The truth of meyer is the same as any other plow manf. They all have their downfalls some more significant than other. no matter what you have its gonna break, so what really matters most is dealer support. Take into consideration not only which one is closest but if theres two or three near you, that enables you to price shop and get a part that another might be out of at the end of the year when inventories get low. also think about what all your buddies are running on their trucks its nice to have someone to call at o dark thirty for advice on a problem and bum spare parts, a lot of us carry a spare pump in the truck but what happens if two go down. i run a meyer simply because thats what everyone in my company run, my buddys run and the entire firehouse buds run, all in aall prolly close to thirty trucks or better

5. gamberbull13

take care of meyer and it will take care of you, and you can almost fix anything on a meyer in a parkin lot with a flashlight

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

After doing an install on a Meyer, I agree with this. They are very simplistic in design and that's a plus.

7. JN16184

JN16184 Member

One thing that I've noticed is that the "bashers" buy a homeowner grade plow and expect it to plow parking lots and more. If you get the low end of any kind of equipment, it won't hold up in continous or commercial use. It's just a matter of buying the right equipment for the job.

8. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. The bottom line is, if you buy the right equipment for the job, take care of it, you'll be fine. :salute:

9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like all the Meyer bashers are too busy repairing their plows ...........its so quiet here

10. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

i want to watch this thread too. i have had many subs with meyer's plows from v's to the 80's model my dad runs and your right they all push snow. some better than others, but also i have not heard any real reason for the bashing. the only thing i notice is that meyer moldboards seem to be too straight up and down and not enough curl. still works great on lots, but not so much on roads. but then again you would never hear those bashers add in that as far as straight blades go NOTHING rolls snow like a blizzard straight blade. PERIOD.

by the way i do not own any blizzards. but i do pay attention to what my guys run.

if a meyer works for you then use it. if not then tell us why

11. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've had a few and have no complaints other than they're ugly. They were always as reliable as any other plow I've used and they moved snow around, so... You can probably find a better deal though. Good luck.

12. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I have 3 trucks with Meyer plows. All of mine are the 7.5 st poly. I have had my share of problems but the one I normally run was bought in 1999. I have pumps from the E47,E60,and the new E58. Love them all. The 47 is slow but thats where I got my start. Parts are cheap for these and its a no brainer to work on. Everyone has troubleshooting sheets for them. I do about 35 driveways and about 12 good size parking lots. Yes it will break but what doesnt. I also have touch pad contollers to the old style switches. Switches are cheap and easy to replace I dont care for my touch pads. Just keep some of the important parts in your truck and you will love it.

13. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Also all of my pumps get the fluid drained and new put in every fall. We also take the bolt out that holds the moldboard to the A frame every year and replace it.

14. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

My C8 has been very very reliable. That said, if I was to replace my plow right now it would be a meyer maxV. I would definately be a V type plow.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I have a Meyer CP8 that has served me well except for when I am plowing a road and going faster. The snow comes over the plow and Snow Delector right on to my windshild. Kind of hard to see at times.

16. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

Well from a home user's prospective I have owned my TMP E47 set up for 4 years. I replaced all kinds of stuff with NON MEYER replacements....well I can see where some people would bash it as just being Meyers....well I'm here to say use ORIGINAL MEYERS PARTS and they last MUCH longer than "this replaces meyers this" and "this replaces meyer that" CRAP..... Put in the required maintainence and they work great. I will buy another Meyer when it gets to that point, but my Cherokee setup is probably gonna be around for a long time to come.

17. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

ya thats because the blade doesn't have enough curl to it. pushes snow instead of rolling it. still works

18. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I just bought an 8' Diamond MD II with an E60 from a friend of mine, needed new lights, a cutting edge, and a wiring harness. Blade looks like it couldnt have been used for more than 1 season plowing roads. $250.....and I even stiffed him $4 lol

I spent about another $900 to put it on the truck

19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Well,,,I'll agree with the fixing in a parking lot with a flashlight comment,,,,becuz ive proven it far too many times.

20. gamberbull13

HPredictability is also a plus when something breaks. Someone else has always been down that road. And b&b knows everything bout Meyer: )