1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The truck I just "stole" lol

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Sep 24, 2008.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I just got home from with a 1986 Ford F-250 4x4 XLT Lariat 6.9 Diesel.
    VERY clean truck for its age with 146,000 actual miles, 2 tone red with a white center stripe NO rust on the cab interior is like new minor rust on the box in the wheel wells.

I gave $600.00 for it!

Pictures will be up tomarrow it's too dark out and the shop is full!

If anyone has a plow that will fit it PM I need to find a good used one by winter!

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

sounds like a good deal. what kind of accounts you gonna plow with it?

3. exmark1

Just a backup truck honestly. My 1993 Chevy "RIP" died last year with 288,000 miles and I stumbled upon this to replace it as our backup/shop decoration!

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

nice find....

5. exmark1

Here are a few pictures I took today in the rain...It's a bit faded and needs a wax job but it's a solid truck!

IM001796.jpg

IM001797.jpg

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wow very nice shape.

Keep mind when outside get cold. 6.9L are hardest to start than 7.3L so it need engine block heater to help start easy.

It look like it can use 8'6 plow no problem.

It have 4 speed standard transmission?

7. exmark1

Ya I could see that being hard to start I have had a few 7.3 Non Turbo trucks and they were cold blooded as heck.

It's an Automatic transmission, not too powerful as for kick down it's like stepping on a dead cat compared to the 7.3 Powerstroke with Banks 6 Gun that I drive normally lol
    We have been pricing used salvage yard turbo assemblys for it already hoping to get a bit more power from it.

8. Milwaukee

You have C6?

If it have C6 you are will be happy because C6 are tough transmission it will last plus easy to rebuilt.

What gear ratio in rear axle.

i say it too nice to be plow truck but if you keep clean rust or spray with fluid film or por15 to prevent rust. Trust me many people want see this in 10 years at car show.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The over drive tranny those years were pretty tough too. I never had one die under me.
    ( Almost 30 yr's driving Ford Ambulances )
    I had my C-6 rebuilt with towing to the shop and taxes for $800. It may only be a 3 speed but it's cheap to rebuild and almost bullet prof.
    A plow buddy just picked up a 93 F-250 with the non-turbo diesel with a plow for $500. I just drove by in the dark last night. I gotta see this thing in the day light. He trips over these deals all the time! A guy just gave him a runs good S10 4x4 two weeks ago.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

wow....very nice find

11. exmark1

It's a C-6 3 speed transmission as for the gear ratio I wouldn't have a clue I am guessing low because it gets 10 mpg empty lol

I seem to find a few good buys a year some I resell others like this I am keeping

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

THATS A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK! Where do you find deals like that?

If that EVER changes, Im down here in the Cities, and as of next summer Im looking for a 4x4 to hold a plow, let me be first in line if you ever change your mind, thats about second on my line of dream trucks (see my avatar!).

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Hell of a deal for $600. Good find exmark.

14. Milwaukee

Most time it came 4.10

can you check axle code on sticker on door or cab you know what sticker I am talk those white sticker say what gvwr weight or model or vin.

I say best plus 10 mpg what rpm at 45 or 55 or 60 mph? 55 mph equal 2,500 rpm?

15. exmark1

The guy didn't know what he had...it was a farm truck that just sat in the shed! The milage is confirmed at 146,000 with all the 1 owner maintainance records since new.

To him is was just "an old beater" as he put it to me, the old man died a year ago and they didn't use it

16. exmark1

I need to get a few pieces of the black trim mouldings for the front passenger fender, drivers side cab post and the end of the front bumper for it to be perfect.
    Is there any supplier to buy that from new or is it best to go looking in the scrap yards?

The scariest thing is the AC even works in it yet lol
    It goes in to get lettered Monday until then they are just magnets I have lying around, we just turned up the fuel pump to get a bit more power and black smoke out of her tonite lol:yow!:

17. fordplowkid

fordplowkid Member

clean truck like it alot

18. J29

J29 Senior Member

Real nice truck. Good luck with it. I miss the days of those simple mechanical diesels and stout transmissions like the C6. My uncle plowed with an 85 F350 diesel with an auto and NEVER had a problem with the engine or tranny. If he had washed it a little more often, he'd still be plowing with it. It just sits with the cab rotting away. I wish i had enough to buy and rebuild it. I ramble on...nice find. J.

19. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Great find, at a great price!

20. exmark1

If only I could find a good used plow for it I would be set... nothing yet and I can't see spending new money for a plow on a $600 truck