1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The truck burns up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Last weekends storm I began my route and 1 hour into I notice an electrical smell.I continue driving towards my next stop.When I got there a white steam appears from the hood near the windshield.I pull into the lot and smoke begins to appear from under the dash on the passenger side.Iturn off the power.At that point sparks appear from that area, next flames and black smoke.I guy nearby comesw over with a fire extinguisher and puts it out.He saves the truck from being fully involved but the dash melts on that side.I would nt start.Anyway I still owe 8k on it the adjustor is looking at it today or tomorrow.I had to pay the back up to complete the route for 2 days.The big problem is I have to find a truck within the next month that can plow snow and pull a trailer.My truck was a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 77k on it.I had put a new Hiniker 8' last yr, that was saved.Any ideas from here.I don"nt want to spend a fortune on another truck I have 1 month to lacte .Dave:dizzy:

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

From what i can tell they might total it with that little bit of damage becasue of the fact it will need new wiring, heater core (maybe) a dash and all the other stuff under the dash and possible under the hood too.? If you have a vehical fire more that likely they will total it. And sence you own money on it it has to be under full coverage. The insureance company will pay off the truck if it is totaled and you will have to pay your deductable, and then start from scratch again. If they don't total it the insurance company will fix it and pay for it, but again you will be paying for your deductable. I am not sure but I think you might get the insurance company to pay for your subs wages. (the guy that had to do YOUR route, not everyone elses, that is if you have more than just yourself plowing for you.) Make sence?. Hope this helps

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Corrosion from the trailer plug?

I to have a 98 Dodge that had electrical fire. Mine got the light switch though and the next day as I was looking for burnt wires the trailer outlet just started on fire. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the power flow.
  4. Funny,
    My trailer plug is all corroded also. I was salting and kept smelling the burning electrical. got back there and all wires are hot and smelling. I think it also burt up my brake box, need to get that fixed before mowin starts.....
  5. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

hey dave are you in endicott ? i think i may have passed by you after the fire truck had gotten there
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Fires are never good, sounds like she is a total loss.

I thought the fire hazard was in the headlight switch/ dimmer?
    That area on the dash gets hot on my 01 & 98.

After reading about your rear plugs I decided to get the flashlight and take a look at mine.

I have a 98, 2500 with 87k. Inside the plus there is a hint of corrosion on the terminals but every thing else looks clean and with out any signs of aging.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

had a truck flame up under the hood but with a fire extiniusherwesport they just had to replace wiring. if dash melted you might be in trouble. what kind of truck your looking for?

sorry to ask but got any pics????
  8. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Just an update on my truck the estimator declared the truck a total loss.There was 7000.oo dollars in damage.I saved the Hiniker plow, which was bought in 9/06.Now the problem of when, where, how much to spend on a truck.dave
  9. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

if you are looking for another dodge the guy I plow for is getting ready to sell one.It is a 2000 2500 regular cab with 77k on it.The motor only has about 25k on it