1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the straw that broke the camels back

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbone, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Well we picked up another contract:dizzy: . Actually I shouldnt say "we" considering I dont own any part of the business (yet). But I work for my friends father. He has an excellent reputation in the area for comercial snow removal. Im excited and worried at the same time. I just got my new truck and plow and he just bought another new truck and plow, but we were pretty much overloaded as it is. Today he gets a phone call from a condo complex that screwed him over and ended his contract at the end of the season 2 years ago only because a couple of people didnt like the way he looked at them or something:rolleyes: . Since then they havent been able to find a good contractor. This year they dug themselves in deeper when they hired one guy with a 1/2ton truck, 7.5ft plow, and 1yard sander. This place is huge!!! When we did it it required 2-3 p/u trucks w/8.5ft blades,2 sanders, 1 front end loader, 1 skidsteer, and about 20 shovelers. It would take about 5 to 7 hours to complete with that equipment. They just found out what the new guy had and called my friends dad right away and asked him if during or after the first storm he would be interested in taking over the contract. He said yeah. Which is nice b/c its about $100k per year, but we are gonna be streetched really thin now. We jsut got about 4 more contracts this year before this one. It will be tough but Iknow we can pull it off. He's buying more equipment as we speak and hiring some more people. I cant wait!!

2. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

This post is a contradiction from the title to the body of the run off sentence. So...is it good news or bad?

3. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Sorry you you make a good point. The point being although I am confident its going to be a lot of work and could potentially screw everything up for us. Not only during storms but the reputation of the company. and also a fact I did not mention is that it may break me considering I already have 2 jobs and school, let alone adding another contract which make a few more hours work. Oh well it will be worth the money.

Where is there a run off sentence??

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This was my same thinking....

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

How are you going to do all this work with two jobs and school, I think that its time for you to focus on one thing for now. Otherwise you are going to have some please off customers and then you will really have problems.

6. jbone

jbone Senior Member

well I just work for the guy I dont actually have ownership in the business. He understands that schoolo, and my other jobs come first.