1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The standard question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

I am looking at buying a 2002 f350, v10, manual trans with a fisher plow. Here is the question: will I be hating myself for buying a manual trans for plowing.

I am not a newbie and know how to drive standard, I am just wondering for this instance...
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you regulary drive a standard youl be ok if regulary drive an auto youl hate it
  3. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

That shouldnt be an issue with a gas. Yeah it will be a little worse and u will want a handheld controlleer for the plow but the over all size of the truck maybe ur biggest issue.
  4. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

That would be my last resort.. That manual wouldnt be too fun.. Find you an automatic..:waving:
  5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I was seriously considering a new mitsu fuso fg140 this fall with a boss v on it, but I just couldn't do it b/c of the trans. You are already doing so much with right foot on gas, left foot ready to brake, one hand steering and the other hand shifting from forward to reverse and operating the operating the plow controller. I didn't want to add the additional steps of operating a clutch and shifter. Definately personal preference.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

2 of our trucks are standard, one auto. We only do driveways, so there is a lot of 1st/2nd - reverse action. We plow in Low to reduce the amount of clutching feathering we have to do. I tend to walk in big right hand circles after plowing. my left leg is always pretty ripped at the end of a night of plow. :drinkup:

If you do buy it move the controller to the shift knob, it'll make everything 10x easier. left hand on the wheel, right hand shifting and plowing. left foot clutchin and right food goosin the fun flipper.

December 07A 020.jpg
  7. i wouldn't advise it. even if you are the best shifter in the world and love to do it, after about 10 drives, its gonna get old real quick!! I would stick with the auto.
  8. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Used standard shift for 4 yrs. No going back. OK for parking lots but drives are a bit much after 3-4hrs.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you get it you better start doing some leg exercises.
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you are plowing roads it would work good, but if you are plowing driveways or plases that you have to back up alot you should get an automatic JMO.
  11. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Standard trans = Fun

Standard trans + Plow = No Fun
  12. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Whats the price difference?
  13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you dont have a long plow day, say less than 4 hours, a stick will be Okay. If you dont mind backing up at only 8 mph, the stick will be Okay.
    After I started plowing commercialy I converted my first plow truck from manual to an auto. Damn glad I did. Also you might not like the fuel milage with that Ford V 10. I know the V 10 truck I have sucks gas like I owned an oil well.
  14. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

they do suck gas but they also have awesome power if you dont want a diesel. they get just about the same as the same truck with a 5.4 and you have alot more power. personally i wouldnt buy the stick.
  15. soma56

soma56 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Bring the wife along to do the shifting for you.