1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The snow plow shovel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Nov 3, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Hey all, what size or sizes of snow plow shovel is everyone using? Looking at maybe the 30 inch?
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We run the 28in because it is $5 per shovel cheaper than the 30s. We will be trying a few of the wheeled ones this year as welll
  3. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

We have used these for years. My first order, I got 24", 30", 36". They guys only like using the 36", so we got a bunch more. I ordered 2 48" a few years later to try them out and the Spanish guys love them and the White guys hate them.

Long story short, 36" seems to be the magic number. With my 2 48"s though, I am going to cut 3" off of both sides and see if anyone likes them this year.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just got 2 36" ones on everyone's recommendation. Very easy to put together and seem very solid. I got mine on Amazon for 59.95 and free shipping.
  5. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I use the 30" most of the time. Use the 36" for light snows.
  6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

48" one pass tell the white guys to stop bitching or they are being replaced by Mexicans it makes more sense to run the Mexicans with the 48"
  7. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

36" works best for us, tried the 48" but found they were just a little too much for our average storm.
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Only thing about the 36's I have found is that if they slightly warp they are sometimes tricky on uneven walks and curbs
  9. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

It bums me out to hear that the snow plow shovels warp too. I have some poly yo-ho polartuff 36" that warped pretty good and they haven't even seen snow yet! I guess just hanging there through the hot summer warped them. That's part of why I was looking at the snow plow brand.
  10. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

I have heard a few guys say they didn't like the wheeled ones. Something about the angle making it hard to keep pressure down on the wheels which I can see being an issue. and they were just too big and clumsy.
  11. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

28/30" is perfect... The bigger ones do get a bit heavier.
  12. snowdom

snowdom Junior Member
    from Iowa

13. JMHConstruction

14. snowdom

snowdom Junior Member
    from Iowa

15. JMHConstruction

16. JMHConstruction

^ that was weird....meant to quote snowdom above me...
  17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

open an account with them and there is usually a better deal
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We have several 24-36in sizes...the 30's seem to be the best size all around for us, although I've got a few guys over the yrs that don't want anything but the 36's. We also have the yo ho brand...decent, but not as well built as TheSnowPlow. We also have the dominator shovels, which are very nice as well.
  19. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

My team loves the 24 and 36's... I personally LOVE the 24" when messing around the house
  20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How do you guys find them for pushing snow 10feet? we have some bigger open areas that we don't always get enough snow to use blowers for that we need to clean up and was thinking of a 28-30" or possibly the grader.